Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Removing Sites Which Can Otherwise Be Reached  (View post)

ShellehS [PersonRank 5]

Friday, June 23, 2006
18 years ago5,928 views

it depands, on time ,and area. some on the list can b reached, other cant.
some places cant touch *.wiki.* . some places cant reach wordpress.com other cant visit wordpress.org or .com. etc
some days, morning , i can see google.com very well, but at night, it b blocked.

Andreas S [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

What about the other Google sites, e.g. google.co.uk. Are they accessible (and uncensored) from China?

ShellehS [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

yes, i can see the UK logo.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Shelleh, from your experience, do you think Google.com was more, less or equally often blocked in 2005 as it is now?

18 years ago #

And Shelleh: do you see the sites on the list of the post?
E.g. can you reach http://www.123go.to ?

ShellehS [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

less i think .
and i think i can reach .

is this :

You have reached the Netmastery 123go.to jump site. Currently we are hosting the following web projects:-

2nd Seven Hills Cub Scouts – serving the Blacktown City communities of Seven Hills, Grantham Heights and Toongabbie.

ShellehS [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

and my name is ShellehS, u lost a "s" at the end.

18 years ago #

Thanks.

ShellehS [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

my pleasure

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Phillip: It's already a good thing that Google Blogoscoped is not blocked.

Don't you think it'll be blocked soon with all this discussions on .cn here?
Not that I think this discussions should stop, it's a good thing for promoting free speech...

徐杰 [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I never visited Google.cn.

18 years ago #

I'd hate to see this blog be blocked in China, but you are right, we can't let that stop us discussing this issue.

18 years ago #

徐杰, why not? Due to censorship or other reasons?

alek [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Has it ever been documented exactly how technically the censorship is being done? I.e. there is consorship at the network level and also at Google.

Is there some "Committee of State Internet Secrets" that decides which sites are bad? This is then converted into an access list on some border routers ... and what is the network architecture of China and how are connections to the outside world proxy'ed?

On the Google/SERP's end, I assume this list of naughty URL's (with possibily some tie-in to "bad" words?) is then supplied to them which is used as a filtering mechanism when they present their results.

Both processes must be fairly dynamic ... and I wonder how automated. Heck, an outrageous hack would be if someone was able to tamper with that and slip a wildcard match character in there – i.e. filter "*" (all) search results – google.cn shows 0 results of of 0 – DOOPPPP!!!!

Chris [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I suppose that in one way, the policy of removing sites at the request of China even if the site isn't blocked might be better. If China asks that a site be removed from the index and Google says: no, we only remove sites that are otherwise blocked. I think China is more apt to go and block it than just forget the whole thing.

Even with this, I'm not sure that overall, this part of their policy is right. I'm just mentioning a positive justification.

Stephan Locher [PersonRank 9]

18 years ago #

If google.com and google.cn is handled the same way as google.com and google.ch then it's not easy for a not so techsavyy person to switch to google.com:

www.google.com redirects me to www.google.ch respecitve the .ch version of www.google.com

I'm an IT profesional and some years ago(Still in my trainee-years and without a link on googles frontpage) it took me several months to find out how to use www.google.com from a computer which accessed www.google.ch before.

ShellehS [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

i dont think this blog will b blocked.
and,i beliv the situation will b modification.
after all, time is going, and, china is striving.

ShellehS [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

and, it's funny. theysaid:
market analysis, baidu.com is 44% , and cn.yahoo.com + yahoo.com r 21%.
google.com + google.cn only 13% in china .

here is a Xample:
http://shellehs.blogsome.com/wp-admin/images/k3.jpg

ShellehS [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

ok this i think will work

http://static.flickr.com/44/173494965_5d2f19add4_o.jpg

徐杰 [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Google.cn 's search results are very bad.You cannot search many thing .
It is censored more than baidu.com。

ShellehS [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

ay, the man " 徐杰 ", please respect truth.
and, before give out ya opnion please do some analysis.

Googler [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Though Google acquires Chinese portal....

In China, Google has some kinds of troubles in its China business. Although Google vigorously began its own business in China, results are not so good until now.
Why so tough in China?
Surely several big reasons exist.
First, China government doesn't want for Google or Other global portal sites to be main portal in China. China govn. would like for all the Chinese peoples to be under control without turmoil. If foreign countries' portal is main one in China, it is so hard to contol its contents in despite of government efforts. Then, a lot of Chinese problems would be disclosed and be the seeds of struggle of minority in China.
So I don't think Google easily can acquire Chinese portal and be No. 1 in China.
Although Google acquire Chinese portal with Chinese government's approval, Google should follow tremendous regulations and Google finally should give up its plan to come to China.

Source from : http://www.khanmna.com/70

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!