Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Chinese Version of 55 Ways to Have Fun With Google, And More  (View post)

ShellehS [PersonRank 5]

Wednesday, June 28, 2006
18 years ago4,562 views

seem i cant reach the site now.

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I once again see the headlines coming: "Blogger Critical of Chinese Censorship Conquers China".

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This is great, that its getting translated into chinese!!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Update: Another Chinese translation in progress is here:
http://blog.donews.com/3seconds/archive/2006/06/28/929513.aspx

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

hey , I would like to know who was the first spotter .. I think it was also mentioned here

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/41693.html

18 years ago #

Yep... I'll go through all comments soon and then compare time stamps, if necessary.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Philipp, if a webpage has material derived from your CC-licensed book, and there are also advertisements on that webpage, would you consider it to fall within the "Non-commercial" part of your CC license?

In other words, does the "non-commercial" refer to not selling the CC content itself, or is the "non-commercial" requirement breached by any kind of association with any kind of monetary service?

I'm not looking for a legal opinion, I'd just like to know how you would want your own work to be used or not used.

18 years ago #

That's a good question, and it's also cause of debate. From what I understand it depends on how much advertisement there is on the site, or how the ads are presented. To quote Simon from a CC mailing list, in reference to a draft – nothing final yet in terms of CC – at http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-licenses/2006-January/003125.html :

<<B (3) says the NC-licensed work may be used in connection with
advertisements for third-party products or services if it's not the
primary draw or a substantial amount, both qualitatively and
quantitatively

C (2) says that if money being charged for a service is incidental to
the use of the NC-licensed work then it's okay (so you could charge
to print copies of an NC-licensed work)

D (1) (c) says that money may change hands if the NC-licensed work is
not "the primary draw or is an insubstantial amount, both
qualitatively and quantitatively"

D (1) (d) says that money may change hands if the contributions are
optional eg. tip jar, donations, and the contribution is to an
individual, an educational institution or a non-profit organization>>

So, in that sense according to this draft it depends on how commercially focused a site is. If the basic motivation is to make money, and there's a focus on ads over content, I'd say it's in violation of the license (same if you simply reprinted my book and make more than what you need to cover printing costs). If there are smaller ads to the side of the book to support the site or cash in a bit, I think that's OK.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!