Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gawker Sells Some Blogs  (View post)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Friday, July 7, 2006
18 years ago4,126 views

the "ganja platform" is not worthy of sustainable innovations and/or revenue models.. no wonder it had to be dumped..

Nick Denton is smart.. ..but then again small investments are needed for the 'ganja' heads :)-

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

sidebar : ""Ganga", an alternate spelling of "ganja", a term for cannabis "

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I misesd this statement ...

"One of my favorite Gawker blog remains Valleywag, but when you become a regular on a Gawker blog you really notice how unbloglike they are for hiding the person behind the blog. A blog post should be signed with the name of the writer, period."

Why ?

what is the resonating trust factor on certain factiods and infonuggets ?? For whatever reasons the bloger desires, they wish to remain "anon" mode. Is this a reason to doubt quality of information that blog / blogger represents ???

or is just plain frastration that makes us want to get "personal" and know the person and whatever ?? --just asking :)-

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It's frustrating 'cause blogs are about personal communication, humans-not-corporations, transparency and so on. Yet Gawker has certain mechanisms in place that oppose some of those values.

And yes, I think if someone stays anonymous their information should receive a lower level of trust online (because of a lack of accountability). Not that that's the case at Valleywag, as the author is still shown somewhere on the navigation, albeit being listed as "editor."

Seth Finkelstein [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It's really a matter of definition. There's "personal communication", and there's "professional media". Just pick the labels you want to use. Gawker isn't personal communication, it's professional media. Arguing over whether the word "blog" should apply tends not to be productive.

A nastier aspect of this is professional media *simulating* and selling the *image* of personal communication.

There's an English expression relevant to that: "If you can fake sincerity, you've got it made".

Cristian Mezei [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

Isn't Nick the author for sure ?

http://www.nickdouglas.net/

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I do not agree that blogs are being personal per definition. If personal means known by family name, address and whatever. Personal means to me that in blogs you can show off your bias or write nonsens like a real person not like a professional.

Consumerist, one of my favorites does this for instance. The blog equals person dogma is outdated. A blog has a character of it's own, the person or people behind it can change once the character of a blog is established.

Disclosure ;-): I was invited as a commenter an Gawker Media after sending a bug report to The Consumerist.

DCer [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Wonkette definitely needs a shakeup. Ever since the original author started writing her book the quality of the blog declined. Now with two new authors, it's almost a complete waste of time.

Hashim [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"A blog post should be signed with the name of the writer, period."

there we go making rules for blogs again.

18 years ago #

We are all bloggers. We identify with the blogger's name. We tend to like to respond to a certain person not to un unknown entity.

I agree with what Philipp says.

18 years ago #

> rules for blogs again.

These rules exist. Things can be more blog-like or less blog-like, I didn't invent that. And not seeing the person clearly who blogs is less blog-like. Do you agree or ...?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"not seeing the person clearly who blogs is less blog-like" – Agreed.

but 2 cent insert here, is regardless of blog/blog-like, but for me the content is king. If I know the person, then becomes a little easier to "trust" the content

18 years ago #

If the Searchenginewatch blog would've been edited by the "team" and not by randfish or people with which you can meet and discuss in a pub, or in a forum, would you say that you would've liked/loved/read it the same ?

I think no.

NateDawg [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Content has alot to do with drawing people to blogs and forums; but a name adds responsibility for ones comments and to me more credibility. Even in a forum setting you can see how a name can add more force to the post. A post by /pd or by philip carries alot more weight for me than by John Doe.

NateDawg [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I just realized I spelled your name wrong philipp; sorry about that :)

18 years ago #

No problem!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!