Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Suggest

Mark [PersonRank 0]

Friday, December 10, 2004
19 years ago

I was completely blown away by Google Suggest. As a piece of technology, my first reaction was that it's absolutely incredible! And fascinating to play with too.

As a search tool though, I'm not sure how it would fit in with my normal searching behaviour.
It's basically trying to do clustering/query refinement before the fact. I'm not sure this is a natural way to do things. Also, it's refinement is one-sided – if I type "cars" then a natural refinement might be "used cars", which it won't suggest.
Overall, definately cool, but maybe not that useful.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

You are right about the word order. I suppose some languages may fit more naturally here (e.g. Malay, which has a reverse word order for many things). In German the same happens if I translate "used cars". I agree with not being sure if this fits "normal search behavior". I often find the visually most stunning searches, those which blow you away, aren't really that useful in everyday search. Google Suggest however I think I will start to like and use more often.

Barney Boo [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention – I often keep tabs on the Labs (ooh, a rhyme) but managed to miss this one. Will be interesting to see if/when this is implemented into the live search engine.

http://www.combustion-studios.com

Ramosa [PersonRank 1]

19 years ago #

Was this "invention" really invented by google?

http://blog.bitflux.ch/archive/livesearch-implemented-in-google.html

Julie Bee [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

This 'Google site' blows my mind! There is NOTHING like it!
I have never seen anything that give you 'INSTANT' answers.
Absolutely incredible! I use this site a lot. I'm getting more intelligent every time I sign on.
Best thing that has happened on the Internet! "-)

Keep up the incredible work...Google!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!