Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Microsoft's Google Compete Initiative  (View post)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Monday, July 17, 2006
18 years ago4,378 views

Some previous comments:
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/45310.html

piotr [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

Wow, when you think they couldn't sink any lower...

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

There's just something flawed with a business model of
"we want to be as good as these guys"

18 years ago #

Yeah, why work for the customer when you can work against the competition :)

J. McNair [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Be nice. Occasionally, when capitalism actually works (which is rare), working against the competition can be good for the customers and the marketplace. We have to hope that they compete by delivering new and innovative products that serve our needs. We hope that they don't just cheat.

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

There's no success found in trying to catch up to the other guy.

You need to innovate and be better than the other guy if you want to succeed in web 2.0

Microsoft has never grasped that. They're a company built around purchasing and licensing other people's innovations. They don't know how to innovate, and from what I hear from people working there, there isn't much emphasis put on it.

Innovation is key. If you offer me somethign just as good, why would I switch?

18 years ago #

> If you offer me somethign just as good, why
> would I switch?

... bevause it's pre-installed on the OS? (Netscape vs IE...)

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> You need to innovate and be better
> than the other guy if you want to succeed in web 2.0

I am just so SICK of that phrase. Who in the right mind would think of "web 2.0"?

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I don't like the phrases either, but sadly I don't get to invent them. Blogging? come on.. it was nothing new, we'd been doing it since the early 90s... only then we just called it writing.

I tried to invent words, but my word (wikiteering – the process of adding your links to wikipedia to improve pagerank) never seemed to take off.... there's $8 for a domain I'll never get back.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

<< You need to innovate and be better than the other guy if you want to succeed in web 2.0

I'll shorten that to:

You need to innovate if you want to succeed.

18 years ago #

> Blogging? come on.. it was nothing new, we'd
> been doing it since the early 90s... only then we just
> called it writing.

I gotta disagree on that, based on my own experience. I was writing on outer-court.com in 2003 and the years before. But when I started blogging it was something very different. It's still writing but with substantial architectural and social differences that put it in a completely different league. (Of course, there were many "blog-like" things around before the word was invented...)

ShellehS [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

i belive will lot of men go for it.
anyhow, i think there are more than 80% PCs are under MS-Win. vs less 30% people use google.
and.... i keep my words

Seth Finkelstein [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Remember the Microsoft strategy of "cut off Netscape's air supply".

They weren't as good as the other guy ... they didn't have to be, that's the power of monopoly.

We're not talking about some bubbly lightweight startup here. We're talking about a corporation with a market value larger than the economies of some small countries.

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Phillip.. we were "blogging" prior to 1997.. only then it was cooler to have multiple writers per site instead of one per site.

It was actually better back then too. To "blog" back then you needed to know how to set up a website, know a little about perl or php, and actually register a domain and pay for hosting.

that simple requirement made sure that only people who actually had somethign to say were blogging.

There were no "omg like jeremy like toally said that like he doesn't like me and it like ruined my day omgzor i hate my life i want to die." blog entries.

man... those were the days.

How's that for off topic?

Dear MS.. you can hire me for that job, but my solution ivolves firing a LOT of people, and throwing money at innovative developers instead of just throwing it at problems.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!