Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Is Beyond Search Realistic?

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, July 20, 2006
18 years ago2,334 views

We all know Google's goal is to create THE search engine: one that can recognise exactly what you type, and give you an immediate answer... perhaps even before you've finished typing.

However, we also know that Google is experimenting beyond the searching and web advertising, with online photo albums, e-mail etc. etc. But how will these actually grab everyone's attention? An argument is that Google web search was popularised by word of mouth, so why can't all other services be? I suppose it is technically possible, but there are drawbacks...

Even though it may not be traditional nor ethnical, Google may have to launch one hell of a campaign to get attention. Once all the products are out of beta, either together as a big web app bundle, or available seperately, I believe the Google homepage would inevitably change accordingly.

Question: how many "non-geeks" (let's face it, we're all geeks talking 80% Google, here) have clicked on the "more >" link on the homepage. Is there any need to, if all the answers lie on Google's web search mothership?

<!-- thanks for reading my blog-like post -->

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Mambo, I do believe also non-geeks are discovering Google.

For my organisation I've implemented the Google hosted facility. A lot of non-geeks are now using Gmail (in hosted mode) while before they were mostly (and still continue) using hotmail. They discover the chat functionality meanwhile and even more they discovered Calendar.

So geeks will promote Google to non-geeks & that is the way Google hopes it will be I think.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

My sister uses Gmail, so definitely non-geeks are discovering other parts of Google. But you have to ask, what websites do non-geeks visit? For example, eBay is on the list. So once Google does something "ebay like", and they push it on their homepage – which already has lots of eyeballs – I don't think it's unrealistic to expect many people to switch. As long as lots of people visit Google (above 90% here in Germany – it's by far the most popular search engine), they have the means to push their services quite easily...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!