Google Blogoscoped

Forum

If Gmail is so great, why can't I use it?

Jesse Yandow [PersonRank 1]

Tuesday, January 11, 2005
19 years ago

I see many, many, many... many contact links that link me to Gstuff, but I can't log in to send Gstuff because it's not offered to the general public. If it's such a great thing how come I find that I'm extremely limited in who I can contact (ex. – only folks who don't use Gstuff – which is less than half of the contact links.)

It reminds me of a screwed up browser project I designed some graphics for (GridShell/WOOP/A.I.based on SequenceL) that was supposed to be able to intelligently figure out any browser regardless of system and work flawlessly with it – it was designed by a Gnu/Linux freak and it couldn't even figure out IE, THE most used browser around.

jesseyandow[put at-character here]bcglobal.net

And, YES, even non-Gstuffers can get through to this address.

Free flow of information = freedom of expression and ease of communication.

Gstuff has almost completely ground to a screeching halt my ability to communicate with anyone but friends and family. I don't see how this helps conect like-minded people or how it helps to streamline the communication process.

Is any of this getting through?
Or are only "the chosen" allowed to express their views to each other (except in frustrated posts like this one)? I really do not understand...

And... I can't even write the actual name of what I'm forced to call Gstuff in a forum about Gtuff without being blocked? What is going on here?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Jesse, the level of noise is lowered when I block the word "G//ail", so most readers here will benefit. It's unfortunate but necessary at the moment. Even as things are, with the filter running, I have to delete approximately 30 posts here every day of people asking for email. (Even though it says right next to the submit button to not do so.)

Why do I want to avoid those posts in the first place? Because people who like to read along in the forum, or have subscribed to it in their RSS reader, do not want to listen to "Please invite me" all day long.

And yes, I realize there's a level of irony that you can't talk of G//ail in a forum which is about Google. This situation hopefully will stop once G//ail goes public.

Jesse Yandow [PersonRank 1]

19 years ago #

[G-whatever = corporate elitism...]

What kind of yearly income level do the folks that DO have access to G-stuff pull in? I'm thinking that most must make over the less than $8,000 a year (well under poverty level) that I do (on a good year)...
Please prove me wrong, somebody... or else corporate elitism is the only acceptable explanation for this "well intentioned(?)" experimental hoo-haa...

Kaisenji Yuri [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

I agree. If g-whatever is so bombastic and soooooooo popular, why not offer it to the gen public? What is the microsoft-like hold up? I see tons of people begging for invites for some email service when yascrewed and the like didn't require all this secret agent nonsense.
to me it seems google's service is a lotta hype with little to show for it.

G-Smell [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Gsmell is a white elephant. And, if you don't have the clout to get a snooty gsmell account, then be gone with you.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!