Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Pulled: Yahoos Attack Google in Wikipedia?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Friday, February 4, 2005
19 years ago

I pulled an article from the front-page because it turned out to be even more "rumourish" than I thought (and I was careful to only report it as rumor in the first place). The article was referring to:
http://www.br1an.net/2005/02/yahoo-employee-inserts-conspiracy.html

--------- My original post below

Brian thinks two Yahoo employees try to edit Wikipedia's Google page to make Google look bad. The two editors go by the nick of "Zen master" and "Sundar" (Bala Sundara Raman) and, as Brian reports, purport the conspiracy theory of formerly missing Abu Ghraib images in Google Images – and the relation of this incident to the fact Google hired an employee who worked for the National Security Agency. And they do so openly on Wikipedia's Google article, which makes it look like they're trying to hurt a competitors image.

But are these really Yahoo employees Brian found? I can't tell for sure; Sundar on his user page does say he is, but he could be lying, and Zen Master at this moment doesn't write anything except an innocent "hi!"

Brian [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

It's not as shady as I originally thought – it is an interesting test case for someone who works for a large corporation to run around with their nametag on and publicy involve themselves in discussions and conspiracy theories about their biggest competitor being involved in covert operations with the united states government.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Brian, I couldn't locate any quotes from Sundar where he said he believed Google would censor Abu Ghraib.. do you have some?

Brian [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

I put in a 301 redirect, thank for pointing that out. Sundar came to my blog and clarified his stance on the issue.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!