Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Get more space in your gmail account

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, August 8, 2006
17 years ago3,149 views

Ok this post may seem like a little wierd because Gmail gives you more than 2Gb storage and i am giving you tips to still make it wider. Although you have much satisfied space, you cannot let your mailbox fill up with unwanted mails or junks, because the rate of your incoming mails grows larger than the increasing free space that Gmail provides. So its better to sort out this problem instead of messing up in future. i got some tips that will help you enhance and optimize your mailbox easily. First of all i use 26Mb(1%) of my 2752 Mb and i get more than 150 mails a day. At this rate, i could have filled half of my inbox but its because of some optimisation and i have used 26Mb(1%).

Ok lets come to the main part… Just keep in mind these simple ideas and steps so that you can save little more space in Gmail. Before optmizing create 5 labels in your gmail account, like sorting the blog posts in categories we must sort the mails in labels under different categories. For example create 5 labels say Friends, Family, Personal, Offical, Misc. Now the next part is labelling each and everymail you got from first. Why do you want to label each and every mail ? Thats because archiving of mails in a specfic categories will even power your search and you get narrow results. I know its harder to label each and every mail but do it as batch process and the main reason i suggest you to do so is that you will surely come across some unwanted mails which you can delete. Unwanted mails in Sent Mail, Chats,etc can be deleted to even get more space. After labelling each mails, archive it so that it stays safe and you could retrive it whenever you want. This process is like filtering the unwanted mails and archiving the important ones.

Clear the Trash and Spam box occasionally to free up more space if you are in an emergency to clean up the gmail. After sorting, your mailbox will look quite cool and smart as mine. Its kinda keeping your mails in fingertips. The Optimization of your mailbox depends on how you use the features of Gmail. Upto my knowledge i think gmail is the best Email Service provider that no other email service can offer. Hope this post might be useful.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

To be honest you probably don't need to do this. Gmail actually gives you more if you reach the limit. It's just that the 2.7GB is what they guarantee to deliver. I have seen people accounts where it says "you are using 110% of your 2500 MB".

17 years ago #

yeah

but its better to sort your mails so it will narrow your search and why waste your space with unwanted junks or useless mails ?

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

agreed. interesting though that Google will actually let you have more space than it officially offers, just to suit your needs. i bet hotmail or yahoo mail wouldn't allow this.

17 years ago #

yeah dpneal

I am using yahoo only for chat and other yahoo services and hotmail i forgot having an account with it.. only for Ms Passport....

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!