Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google to setup Server Farm in India

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

Friday, August 11, 2006
17 years ago2,455 views

I know /pd talked about Google's 1 Billion Dollar Invested.

Apparently they are planning a server farm.

More info @ Times Of India

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1882556.cms

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ain't that $ 1 billion for charity?

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

And how's that ?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

deployment of industrial strength cluster servers in a .in zone is not a good choice.. infrastructure assets deployment within .in zone is poor.. electricity, bandwidth and all the CERTIn issues are in the spotlight.

spending to create another development DC, between now and YR2010 is a good thing. After all S/w developers within a .in zone is abundantly available...

servers farms..?? imho-- that's pure speculation.. no doubt a good one!!

India just does not have the backbone to support such HAS (high availabity servers) clusters, unless googles is inventing thier own backbone..Now that would be a plan....

<snip>

Google is looking for Strategic Negotiator candidates with experience in...(i)dentification, selection, and negotiation of dark fiber contracts both in metropolitan areas and over long distances as part of development of a global backbone network," the posting reads in part.

<end snip>>

..go figure!!

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

>industry sources say that the Indian centre will be the company's second such facility in Asia and seventh globally.

thats great to hear...and pd/
>Google's proposal to set up a server farm in India comes on the back of increasing number of internet users in the country.

instead of accessing the international sever, a local server would reduce the cost you see...

as you told they need thier own backbone...

i welcome it so that i could get a job in Google,india after i finish my graduation .. Lol...

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

iTWire also reports the same thing.

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/5254/945/

We all know Google wouldn't do it if there weren't high profit margins involved.

Also Bill Gates announced a few Billions for India last year, so a possible move to thwart that.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!