Google Blogoscoped

Forum

YouTube vs Google Video  (View post)

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

Monday, August 14, 2006
17 years ago4,614 views

YouTube was first, and that's the one most important thing.

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It is easier played movies, first there, great for distrubutions and no restrictions.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ludwik I am not sure I agree on that. I thought that YouTube and Google Video were pretty much identical in terms of feature sets.

But recently I saw what YouTube has extra. YouTube is much more of a community. There are whole fairy tales that happen there. There are characters behind the usernames. People can subscribe to other people's content within the system. In that way it is a huge source of video blogs and that is what the people making them on YouTube often call them themselves.

On the other hand Google Video is just a plain catalog of content. I have never taken notice of the username associated with a video on Google Video. On YouTube it is hugely important.

The other way in that YouTube really wins out is its wealth of content. It has everything.

SCJM [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The wayback machine shows Google Video online 2/05
The wayback machine does not have any youtube.
Wikipedia says youtube started in 2/05

I'd say they started about the same time. In my opinion, Youtube has too many features. Favorite videos? I'm just going to watch a video once, and move on. All you need is videos. Maybe I'm google-biased, but I prefer Google Video.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!