Google Blogoscoped

Forum

WorkZoo Job Search  (View post)

Rich Hodge [PersonRank 6]

Thursday, February 24, 2005
19 years ago

At first glance the search for "programming"
http://www.workzoo.com/ns?q=programming&l=&sb=Search+Jobs&d=7&r=15&s=b did not seem very relevant (it finds "Program Manager" which may have nothing to do with computers)

A search for "programmer" looks much better:

http://www.workzoo.com/ns?rpp=10&q=programmer&l=&sb=Search+Jobs&d=7&r=15&s=b

Looks very well done overall though – that map is fantastic!

Mark Maunder [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Thanks for the kind words Rich. It took me a while to get that map created at the speed it is now. Some searches bring back the coordinates of more than a quarter million jobs and all have to be summed up and plotted on the map.

Re your comments on keyword searches: We use a stemming algorithm which gives us matches on nurse, nursing and nurses when you search on 'nurse' for example. Thats the benifit. The down side is that when you search on accountant, you'll get matches for accounting, accountancy but also accountability. Usually this isn't much of a problem because the more relevant jobs float to the top and drown out jobs that only appear in the search results because they contained one occurence of 'accountability' (for example).

Google have been using stemming for some time now and the 'looseness' of their stemming algorithm seems to vary. A while ago they also got tripped up by the 'accountability' bug, but they seem to have it sorted out now.

Mark Maunder
(workzoo.com founder)

Rich Hodge [PersonRank 6]

19 years ago #

Once again Mark,
Real nice site and that map is just fantastic!

RE: Keywords, etc. – Philipp just happened to link to what I considered not to be one of your better results of a typical job search. I am sure a seeker would refine the query to fit... That was a good example of stemming BTW.

Unless they were actually looking to be an accountant ; that would automatically default them as an – ok not going to go there ;)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!