Google Blogoscoped

Forum

What's Google's revenue strategy with GDrive?

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

Friday, August 25, 2006
17 years ago2,554 views

From what we can make out, it seems Microsoft will offer (Vista Users ?) 2 Gig of Free Storage and Charge for the rest (?)

So Will Google really provide infinite storage ?

According to Techcrunch (from an old post)

http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/04/20/microsoft-live-drive-may-launch-before-google-drive/

".. Google Drive is a 2007 product at best, largely because of product priorities and business model issues. According to sources, Google is trying to work out a way to provide the service for free (and there are very large bandwidth and storage costs with storage, obviously)."

So will Google try a similar thing or advertise (seems reasonable)

[Title updated – Tony]

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Why does my title look at messed up ?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The "apostrophe" character has been parsed out (?)

getting to the point... revenue streams will be Ad's or paid services. Google has the richest infrastructure. They can easily compute and compete on the grid. Sun / IBM/ EC2, all are the same concept. Nothing new, just host and provide computing power with some basic interface.

Google has down this with GBase/ProjectHosting (codebase)/ various API's etc.

The differentiator is simple. Google is doing this via a piggy backing on Ad revenue. Whereas competition is doing this thru a direct revenue stream. That is, a chargeable services.

However, even if Google charges and converts services to a direct revenue stream, they are still way ahead of the curve on the technology plateau. Google has learnt how to cater to the masses. They have the abilitiy to throw any conceviable service onto their infrastrcture. Thats why they have more products thruput then any other player in the web app areana.

PhoneBoy has a good post on the concept, take time to read this.

http://www.phoneboy.com/node/921

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Not just the apostrophe a few letters were capitals (The first letter was anyway) too.

Interesting read. I guess since Google buys in bulk, it costs them (the storage space I mean) less than we think I guess.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< Why does my title look at messed up ? >>

I've reported this bug the Philipp – it happened to one of my titles too.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ya it looks like its fixed now. Thanks.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ooops. Tony, your mail ended in my spam folder, without me seeing it. I'll check on the bug.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Fixed!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!