Andreas [PersonRank 0]

Sunday, March 6, 2005
19 years ago

API wildcars seem to work:
http://findforward.com/?q=%22we%27re+the+*+in+america%22&t=

Andreas [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Sorry, got it wrong.

Apart from the examples working at Google.com, the actually don't ...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

No, actually you are right!
At FindForward, I never get wildcard omissions, even for e.g. "god * america".

A stranger from India [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

By the way, we are seeing even stranger things, many a times google refuses to respect many other operators, especially operators with (-) minus prefixed.

Have you guys seen this type of behaviour?

Andreas [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

I don't know if it has anything to do with what you're seeing, but I'm getting some strange results, too: Searching for a certain phrase returns about 750 results, searching for the phrase and an additional " -lyrics" (without quotes) returns about 5600 results.

But then, that might just be the usual skewed Google page count math.

Wildcard search still doesn't work most of the time.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Stranger from India, do you have some sample queries for the behavior you are seeing?

Andreas, yes, that sounds like the usual flaws of PageCount math...

DeeDee [PersonRank 1]

19 years ago #

If you 'refresh' your 'Preferences' – evrything seems to work as per normal e.g.
"the * are green" --> "the trees are green"

Robert Shaw [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

The wild card still seems broken. I think people may have initally seen it work or not work somewhat randomly, depending on what software version the server they were routed to was running.

It seems to consistently fail for me now. I have a suspicion Google might view this as a "feature" rather than a bug.

I have been able to work around it at times by using an additional exclude phrase, e.g.:
"fat * cat" -"fat cat"

Caleb [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

i tried it just a few days ago and it was working with <god * america> (no quotes) twas pretty funny becuase i was demonstarting to a friend that it didnt work and it worked. But if you search for <"god * america"> it doesnt work.

someone [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

use brackets... [word1 * word2]

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!