Google Blogoscoped

Forum

CYOAs as Early Hypertext

Greg Yardley [PersonRank 1]

Wednesday, March 9, 2005
15 years ago

As someone who spent *way* too much time with both the Choose Your Own Adventure and Fighting Fantasy books as a kid, I feel compelled to point out that Jackson and Livingstone wrote much of the Fighting Fantasy series – not the CYOA series.

Of course, the Lone Wolf series of adventure books were more exciting than both of the above series combined – and thanks to the incredible generosity of the author, Joe Dever, they're now available for free download at <a href=" projectaon.org\">Project Aon</a> – projectaon.org/.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Actually, CYOA (Choose Your Own Adventures) has become a generic term to describe this branch of IF (Interactive Fiction). I was referring to the generic term. By the way, I read the Jackson/ Livingstone books in German, so I'm not familiar with any of the two specific "brands" "Choose Your Own Adventure" or "Fighting Fantasy".

15 years ago #

... I updated the post to make things perfectly clear.

Greg Yardley [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Oops, too pedantic. Bad tendency of mine. :)

15 years ago #

Actually, I've been into something of a heated trademark discussion on this before. Basically I chose "Create your own adventure" as slogan for QML, and someone said this could bring a lawsuit onto me. Google Groups reveals the details from 2002 groups-beta.google.com/group/c ...

Juan [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Many consider Rayuela, the novel by Julio Cortázar, an early form of hypertext. Published in 1963

When did CYOA appeared?

Thanks

This thread is locked as it's old... but you can create a new thread in the forum. 

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!