Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail and im..sooner than you think.

Pierre [PersonRank 0]

Wednesday, March 23, 2005
19 years ago

First there's this : http://www.google.com/gmail/help/tour/start.html
and this http://www.google.com/googleblog/2005/03/tech-tip-rather-forward.html
Gmail going public with sms alerts whenever you get a mail?
And then Hello has been added to More ...
I'm sure it's coming.
April 1st
Gmail comes out of beta
Gmessenger goes on beta
and a real April fish

Caleb [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

What about that whole gbrowser.com thing? just so everyone knows, using some website reveals that the domain gbrowser.com is reserved by google. What are everyone's opinions on whether Google's just covering thier bases or if gbrowser is going to be here soon?

Jason [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Hello has been in "more" since they changed the page to smaller icons.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Pierre, your thoughts on an April Fools Gmessenger have been picked up by CBS Marketwatch and Investors.com:
http://www.investors.com/breakingnews.asp?journalid=26650404&brk=1

Jason [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

They mentioned Google Blogoscoped and you, yet they didn't even link to your site. tsk tsk.

19 years ago #

I'd say about 60% of all mainstream news still don't know how to link... but the numbers are getting better (years ago, *no* mainstream news source knew how to link! Today, many do.)

Jason [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

<a href=""> is so hard to do? lol.

19 years ago #

Jason, the specific CMS may not allow HTML, the authors may not know HTML, and even if they'd do, they'd probably think it would undermine their article. Besides, many articles may be written by journalists who are simply not thinking in terms of linking.

I'm not defending this at all... it's a ridiculous misunderstanding if you're a journalist not writing for the medium you're in, or a news service not pushing the tools to do so. Yet it happens all the time.

Jason [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

I agree. I'm sure if a blogger tried to write a newspaper article they would get things wrong too. I wrote for my high school newspaper back in the day and we had to analyze legitimate newspapers and try to pick up their habits. There are all kinds of rules and traditions involved.

Pierre [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

I'm a bit scared by all this...
okay
erm...Microsoft decides to make Windows Longhorn Opensource!!!
I'm not that sure about it. I see it as Google only possible move.
What scares me is the responsability I will carry if it didn't come to be true
;-)

Walmer [PersonRank 1]

19 years ago #

I would like to say that Gmessenger would be pretty gay if you look at googles whole shpeil, they want to make everything searchable, well im sorry but the only way that IM..with out a bit of a stretch organises anything is if you use the same frame as trillain, mayhap google will buy trillian? trillian is pretty cool, and it doesnt have as much money behind it as google could put under it.. in any case they could use trillian as there frame so that it would be compatible with other messenger and add another client Gmessenger, or GIM so that all "trillian" users could communicate directly, and so there would be a push to get GIM..but seriosly idk if that would be too litel of a push, by making them that compatible, but it definetly would fit with the motto dont be evil, i did read a recent article though.. maybe google should be a little evil?

Caleb [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

GIM wouldnt have to be that much different from gmail, i can think of a handful of conversations in gmail that have over fifty messages all sent within about twenty minutes just like instant messaging b/c i was in the computer lab or library and someone else with gmail was and i didnt want to bother with the ads of e-messenger. ooh that'd be cool too--browser based g-messenger

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!