Google Blogoscoped

Forum

How can I contact google for domain name

Mayank [PersonRank 3]

Friday, September 29, 2006
17 years ago3,607 views

I own a domain name called googlosaurus.info

I just want to know that can I use this domain name or not and for that I wanted to get in touch with google support. Can anyone tell me :

1. What are the chances of Google allowing me to use this domain name.
2. Where can I email Google regarding this.

Your help will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Try...

http://www.google.com/permissions/guidelines.html
http://www.google.com/permissions/request.html
http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2006-05-08-n87.html

One of their trademark guidelines is to not play with the word "google" e.g. "googlo" :)

Mayank [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

:(that means I'll not be able to use it for my website.
there very first can't do thing is this only :(

Mayank [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

just out of curiosity.....there is a domain name called Googlelady.com & even googlesystem.blogspot.com

So, how can they exist....is'nt that trademark issue?

17 years ago #

They are not playing with the word "Google." They are using it as standalone word, e.g. "Google Operating System Blog." But this is just Google's trademark guideline, who knows if it will hold up in court when you try to go for Googlosaurus... Google's isn't the law (though they probably can pay they lawyers well!). Note: I renamed this blog from "Googlosophy Blogoscoped" to "Google Blogoscoped" in the beginning for this trademark reason.

Mayank [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

Thanks for the info Philipp. Thanks a lot for all the efforts :)

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

hmmm then what about haochi's Googlified ?

is "Googlified" allowed ?

17 years ago #

As per above page, no:

"One of the conditions for all uses is that you can't mess around with our marks. (...) That includes modifying a Google trademark, for example, through hyphenation, combination or abbreviation, such as: Googliscious, Googlyoogly, GaGooglemania."

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This topic is too complicated. Let's just say: don't try to mislead people you represent Google.

Mayank [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

I think we can always seek permission from google and explain them that we will make sure that we'll put the line (WE ARE NOT AFFILATED WITH GOOGLE INC.) in BOLD letters

17 years ago #

> I think we can always seek permission from google

I once tried to get permissions for my book (to showcase some Google holiday logos). Tough luck, I waited and received replies and waited some more, but received no permissions in the end.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!