Google Blogoscoped

Forum

G Finance New Features

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

Friday, October 20, 2006
17 years ago8,133 views

There are some new features on Google finance. Compare stocks, and settings for charts.

Also does anyone know why 'Google Confidential!' appears next to the user name at the top right?

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

That sounds really cool, but i don't see these features. where are they?

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

i cant see them either..
and theres no ' New Features ' link.. :/

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Is dpneal getting a peak of something soon to come?

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I can't see it now either. And i didn't take a screen shot! rubbish.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I've been looking around the source code from what is saved in google desktop. I found the pictures they use for the new compare and setting buttons.....

http://finance.google.com/images/compare.gif
http://finance.google.com/images/settings.gif

they appeared above the graph and the graph slider had been moved to below the actual graph. i will try and post more details if i can find them...

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This is just a hoax! This is just to good to be true! :P

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

i wonder why there was some mix up with my account? that must be why 'google confidential' appeared next to my username.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

screenshot here.....

http://google.blognewschannel.com/index.php/archives/2006/10/20/google-finance-update-coming/

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

i can barely see something dpneal... :/

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I am not seeing the new buttons.. I use the folio extensively , and that would be a nice feature to have

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

dpneal, I got the Google Confidential thing too (last night). But not anymore.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Oh and I didn't even sign in at that time.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

i reckon they tried to roll something out internally for testing, but got mixed up with something so everyone would have seen it for a few hours until they realized.

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I saw it about two hours ago, but it is gone now. Google Finance is really becoming useful.

TonyB

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Interesting. It still needs more features, though. Last evening my friend asked if I had seen the stock. I went to Google finance and GOOG was only up like 1.6% and I replied, "So?". I suspected he might mean after hours, so I had to head over to Yahoo! Finance in order to see the after hours performance (since I don't think it is on Google Finance).

Dave B [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

I saw the compare and settings buttons as well as the slider moving below the stock chart a couple hours ago, but it is back to normal now.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I can see it in both IE and Firefox, sign in and out.
Here's the screenshot...
http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/3731/goog456823076722googleinceq1.png
http://googlified.com/2006google-finance-version-2/

az [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

i see it now and it doesnt say google confidential any more

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The Compare and Settings buttons really did work.

The Compare button opened a list of comparable stocks, as well as allowing you to enter one not suggested. For Google, it suggested stocks like MS, and Yahoo, but Verizon (a wireless provider) was also there. Selecting them drew them on the chart.

The Settings button toggled between Fixed and something like Flexible. I don't know what it did exactly. I think it controlled the scale of the graph vertically, but I did not play with it much.

I didn't notice the Google Confidential text, but I hadn't been looking for it either.

To be honest, I haven't played with Google Finance much. I just checked in to see what I could learn about the Google Earnings release this morning, and didn't realize those were new features until reading about them here. I also played with Yahoo's site at the same time, and liked the look and feel of Google Finance much better.

TonyB

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I see is back now, and the Settings button is different that I remember. Perhaps I confused it with another site, or maybe I was just wrong. :)

Tony

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Wow, it's amazing how annoying all those ads are on Yahoo Finance compared to Google Finance. Even if Google goes with Text ads, their site will be much easier to read.

I'll leave it up to you investment experts as to which site has more timely and useful information.

TonyB

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I like how it shows the point and percent price increase over the time window you are viewing in the graph. Unfortunately, I still can't find some information like after hours trading price (although, I might have to wait for the markets to close before I observe this).

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!