Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Rename Picasa

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, October 28, 2006
17 years ago4,906 views

Branding is always important. "Picasa" says -0- about Google. Why not Google Photos, Google Pix, GPhotos, or GPix?

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It is Google *Photos*, as said on the little link bar at the top-corners of Gmail, GCal, etc.

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The logo on the website says Picasa, so does the icon on the desktop. It's Picasaweb.google.com, not Photos.google.com, etc.

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Like Writely and spreadsheets turned good gdocs....they will in future

like yahoo acquired flickr and they still have the name flickr and so google acquired it from Idealab.

zmarties [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google acquired Picasa as an existing brand – and has continued to run it slightly outside their normal operating procedured (in some ways much as they plan to do with YouTube)

Another area where they drop the Picasa name is in the download buttons – which mostly talk about "Get Google's photo software"

I discussed some aspects of this at

http://www.zmarties.com/picasa/blog/2006/09/home-for-your-photos.html

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

for more info:

Lifescape Solutions introduced Picasa, a digital photo organizer for the PC that was widely reviewed as the best product on that platform. The company later added the Hello service, which enabled real-time sharing of photos along with the ability to chat with other users at the same time. The company was acquired by Google in 2004.

Founded 2002

www.picasa.net

jilm [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

They should rename it, but that´s not the major problem. I simply don´t understand why thry keep the Picasa design and GUI along Google´s. See Picasa Web Albums and Google Video. These services should look pretty much same. And more – compare desktop software which Google got by acqusition and which they developed by their own. They still didn´t unite the GUI, Google Talk/Desktop and Google Earth/Picasa are two absolutely different kinds of product. When you believe, that your design is the best, why don´t use it everywhere? That´s annoying.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< See Picasa Web Albums and Google Video. These services should look pretty much same.

They aren't the same.
Picasa Web!= Google Video.
Picasa Web = hosting personal photos mostly for you and your friends
Google Video = share your videos with the world (but they've added an "unlisted" option, like in Picasa Web)

You can see the difference if you notice there's no search box in Picasa Web.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I like the Picasa brand. PWA is just an extra feature for Picasa users, show, as Ionut says, they can just use when they want to share with family and friends. I know a few people that use Picasa, that don't use other google services.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I don't mind whether or not they change the name, but I think the Web Albums lay out should either stay the same or be changeable (the user can decide Picasa/Google)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Gmail, Calendar, Photos, Docs & Spreadsheets + ... will merge anyway.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I don't think so. That product would be too bloated. Remember Google likes things simple. And so do users.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"Gmail, Calendar, Photos, Docs & Spreadsheets + ... will merge anyway."

Although I'm usually sceptic, I agree with Ionut.

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

dpneal, that rationale would support integrating their products rather than having many disparate services that don't give you the same interface to make document sharing easier.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

i agree that they would merge into one kinda suite. but not into one product. it would confuse users too much.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

On the Google OS, you should be able to...
+ "add this Picasa photo to you Gmail email"
+ "gmail this video to a friend"
+ "publish this Writely document to a blog"
+ "publish this Picasa image on your Google Page Creator homepage"
+ "attach this Google Docs & Spreadsheets file list to your Gmail-email"
+ "export this Spreadsheets chart to Picasa"
+ "invite people for this Spreadsheet from your Gmail contacts list"
etc.

A couple of these are already available. Different products, but integration into a single meaningful OS/ office suite, with the option to have a single (web) OS homepage, too.

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yes philipp that is brillant. A google right-click menu :P. Or a specialized mouse with a google button, so you can google-ize everything :D

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

http://www.seweso.com/blog/google-menu.JPG

:D

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!