Google Blogoscoped

Forum

GMail Spam Filter

Andreas [PersonRank 0]

Sunday, April 10, 2005
19 years ago

Did anyone notice GMail's spam filter failing to catch a lot of spam the last days?

A week ago, it would catch almost every spam mail targeted at my address. During the last days, I had to clean up my inbox a lot. Have the spammers finally found a way to defeat GMail's filtering, did Google change its algorithm or is this just some strange coincidence?

"-" sabadash [PersonRank 1]

19 years ago #

no. I've had no spam with GMail.

"-"

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

No problems here either, there's only a few spam mails every day Google doesn't catch (and I'd say a few every week they catch even though it's not spam – but I don't check my spam folder frequently enough to know for sure).

Andreas [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Thank you.

That's strange: Today I had again about 10 spam mails in my inbox, 5 were filtered. Is the Gmail spam filter user dependent? Maybe I misclassified some spam mails as real mails (or vice versa) and thus confused the filter. Or, maybe, Google is varying its filter among the users to do some testing.

Caleb [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

I have NEVER in the history of the gmail spam filter had a SINGLE misfiltered spam or regular mail. I dont get much spam though. but im very proud of my record...since Dec 6th and counting.

Adam [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

i hava had a Gmail account for about 2 months and the spam filter has not let noe spam email throgh, allthogh when i join mailing lists and get regular e-mails throgh different e-mail addresses (eg christmas[put at-character here]hmv, december[put at-character here]hmv, november[put at-character here]hmv) google classes them as spam and i have to fish them out of my spam folder every month, but i dont get that much spam

Jamie [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I get over 100 spams a day. GMail fluctuates. Some days I see 2, some days I see 10. False positives are pretty rare. Overall not bad, better than Thunderbird's bayes anyway. The "hot stock tip" types seem to be the most likely to end up in my inbox.

Oliver [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Looks to me as if the stock spam evades gmails filter because the text is base64 encoded. For example:

MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

U21hcnQgTW9u345245XMgLSBJc3N1ZSAxLCBWb2wuIDQNCg0KU21h

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!