Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Wikipedia Locks Kazakhstan Article  (View post)

Mathias Schindler [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, November 7, 2006
17 years ago4,162 views

The british media (and spiegel is quoting dpa is quoting sun) are actually wrong. The article on this country in en.wp can be edited by anyone with a registered username (rough description of "semiprotection").

Locking the article would be counter-productive. There is an increased interest in this country and it should be possible to properly improve the relevant articles. People who have watched the movie would like to see the difference between a comedy film and the real country Kazakhstan.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The article actually does display a big "lock" on top Mathias, so I think calling it "locked" (when explaining to *whom* it's locked, which Spiegel indeed got completely wrong) is OK. Either that or the icon needs to be changed, perhaps, to be more in-tune with Wikipedian's terminology...

17 years ago #

de.wp does not use that kind of template in order to indicate semi-protection. I prefer that way.

17 years ago #

(oops: semiprotection is noted in the talk page)

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I hate this "Borat movie" viral marketing. They do anything to get exposure on all media channels. F***k that.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Tadeusz, I don't believe the movie producers have anything to do with the Wikipedia editings... (not necessarily anyway).

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!