Google Blogoscoped

Forum

One Meaning

Stephen Tordoff [PersonRank 10]

Monday, November 13, 2006
17 years ago2,353 views

One means more than zero but less than two.

Type "one meaning" into Google to get a very helpful definiton

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

They have some weird stuff for other numbers too...

2 – Pair ... cards with the same number
3 – Michael III ... "the Drunkard", was grandson of Michael II, and succeeded his father Theophilus as Byzantine emperor ...
4 – The Four ... are a group of fictional supervillains from the comic book Planetary by Warren Ellis and John ...
5 – V ... is the twenty-second letter in the modern Latin alphabet.

... the list goes on ...

17 years ago #

I think that this system needs a bit of fine tuning

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

How would you define "one"? I think the definition is very good.

From WordNet: "one = ace, single, unity, the smallest whole number or a numeral representing this number".

17 years ago #

I'm not saying that it is the worst definition, it's just ambigous. Both 0.5 and 1.5 (and infinate others) fit this definition but are not called One

17 years ago #

Maybe "the natural number following 0 and preceding 2" would've been better. I don't understand why Google chose the Simple English Wikipedia.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Doesn't Google have some threshold, so that an answer needs to be repeated on multiple sites to be "authoritative" enough to make it into the onebox? This one shows only one source, http://www.google.com/search?q=one+meaning&fsrc=1&hl=en&sa=X&oi=answers&ct=more-sources , but I always figured that's what they do. Then again, it wouldn't change that much, because there's so many copycat sites reproducing Wikipedia content.

17 years ago #

They chose that version of Wikipedia, because the English version was pretty confusing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!