Google Blogoscoped

Forum

How does one open a tar.gz file?

Rich hodge [PersonRank 6]

Wednesday, November 29, 2006
17 years ago3,812 views

I've been all over Google tonight trying to figure this out. Even tried to download some untar program from sourceforge but it too was a tar.gz :)

Do I have to deal with telnet to do it?

No way is it this complicated. I thought one of you forum members might point out the obvious keyword phrase I'm not typing or if you know the simple answer..

How do you unpack a compressed tar file?

XP or Apache server

17 years ago #

Thanks so much Philipp!

Never had a problem with compressed files before. I'll download one of those and try it :)

17 years ago #

Holy cow winzip worked great! I guess I didn't have it on this computer..

Once again I can't thank you enough Philipp... Frustrating to be so stuck like that.

Wish an answer like that was in the SERPS

:)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

(For the record, I suggested WinZIP or WinRAR but then saw the Apache line and figured it was a scripting question, not a software question, and killed my answer!)

justin flavin [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

tar -xvzf filename.tar.gz

will do it. (in Linux/Unix , maybe OS X too)

Rich Hodge [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

That is what I didn't understand Justin – where do you type that...

I tried going "Start--> Run" in Windows to type it but no joy...
Then I tried FTP'd the file to my site and tried telnet but couldn't remember/figure out how to log in using telnet client

That's why I mentioned Apache in the above post thinking that it's a Linux based server but to be honest I'm in way over my head on this old school stuff. TAR stands for Tape ARchive – I've been around a long time but not long enough I guess.

I got stuck because I assumed that my computer had Winzip – when Windows didn't recognize a tar I went searching Google and got deeper and deeper in over my head. (I had forgotten that the computer I was on had a recent hard drive / os replacement)

All there is in Google is a bunch of pages with instructions just like yours Justin – but none mention where to type "tar -xvzf filename.tar.gz" or that you simply need some software :)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!