Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Full feed RSS please!

Sean W [PersonRank 0]

Sunday, May 1, 2005
19 years ago

Could you please release a full RSS feed? Summaries are useless as I need to visit the site, and the reason I use RSS is so I do not need to visit the web log's site!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

I understand some people would prefer full-text RSS feeds. But there's two reasons why I don't do that.

1) I need to know who visits this site. Part of that is tracking statistics. Services like Bloglines effectively hide this information from me. Without this information, I have a hard time seeing the readers I'm doing this for, which would deprive me of part of the energy needed to put my time into this.

2) Many services republish complete RSS feeds, including mine (everything I write is instantly republished on a variety of other sites, completely, often without a backlink or proper credit). Many of these are spam portals trying to fool Google. They'll turn up in search results. I do not want to give those people a chance to republish my full feeds.

There's a minor third reason, which is advertisement; this server costs my monthly money, and ads are where I get this money back. But this isn't the main reason. Even if RSS ads would be a possibility there'd still be reasons 1 and 2.

Hope this explains it!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!