Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Picasa Web Albums now has Order Prints

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, December 14, 2006
17 years ago7,001 views

My Picasa Web Albums account now has an "Order Prints" option. I can pick between Shutterfly and Photoworks.

I also have a Search function that allows search on captions and Tags, both in my albums and in my Favorites. Cool!

TonyB

zmarties [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Finally, a search function – why Google missed this out originally is beyond me.

There are limitations – the search still does not allow for a full search over all Picasaweb pages – it mostly searches through your own albums, or those that you mark as favorites. However, it will search through any other single album that you are currently in, even if that is not one of your favorites (indeed you don't even have to be logged in to do such a search).

More details at http://www.zmarties.com/picasa/blog/2006/12/picasaweb-gets-search.html

zmarties [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Well that didn't last long – less than an hour after starting to use the feature, the search function has disappeared from Picasaweb. I guess that Google found some problems with it and withdrew it for more work.

The order prints function still remains.

Google have documented the search function on their Picasaweb Whats New page, so we can expect it back just as soon as they fix it.

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I just checked and Search is there for me. I haven't checked since I last posted, so I don't know if it was gone for awhile.

TonyB

zmarties [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yes, it's back there again for me now as well – but wasn't earlier – I've been checking every couple of hours or so.

The Tagging feature has also been added now as well – look at the bottom right of individual photo pages, and you can now add tags to the photos.

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"The Tagging feature has also been added now as well – look at the bottom right of individual photo pages, and you can now add tags to the photos."

Sweet! I see it now as well. I just noticed you can sort within albums by date or file-name. I don't' know how long that has been there.

I see they call your public albums "My Gallery". I wonder if people are gong to be confused about the difference between "My Photos" and "My Gallery".

TonyB

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Even if an un-listed album is in your visited list on your favourites it doesn't find their tags. (even if you click the tag link from that image) Check using Philipp's tags (if you know where the album is :-))

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

And also Video in Web Albums. That is a neat feature – one that Flickr really needs to get sorted I think (but one that they don't seem interested in getting sorted). e.g. http://picasaweb.google.com/tester/SampleAlbum/photo#5008297403382231522

View all the new features in a Picasa Web Album (quite a cool way to show them off):

http://picasaweb.google.com/tester/SampleAlbum/photo#5008248582488977682

17 years ago #

P.S. Does anyone else think that this should become Google Photos at some point?

17 years ago #

Also: the tide seems to be turning on labels/tags. Lets see:

Blogger: labels.
Bookmarks: labels.
Docs & Spreadsheets: tags.
Gmail: labels.
Picasa Web Albums: tags.
Reader: tags.
Video: tags.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Picasa (& Web Albums) --> Google Photos
Docs & Spreadsheets --> Google Office
Would be nice.

I want to be able to search ALL photos, but I can see they don't, anyone could find them without knowing the user name (or searching through user names on Google)

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

That's an interesting point on Tags vs Labels in Web Albums. The Picasa 2.5 beta called them Tags during most of the beta, but they became Keywords again around the time 2.5 came out of beta. So they are still called two different things in the Picasa/Web Albums family.

TonyB

Ulf G [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Unfortunately these news features, as with many other Google tools, are only applicable if you choose, English US.
If I, being a swede, choose Swedish, I don't see the search feature or order feature. This was also the case with Gmail.

Now I always select English US, to be on the safe side. Not to miss out on the extras.

Ulf G

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!