Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Advertises Your Homepage Modules  (View post)

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

Thursday, December 14, 2006
17 years ago4,050 views

as somebody who at one time had 2 of the top 10 most used modules, how can you NOT use them for website promotion?

One was a free text mesage one... supported by ads. As a google module, there's no room for ads. I temporarily disabled it until I can find a way to foot the bill now for the 10k messages / day it would send. any ideas? Since i replaced the module with a link to the real site, my advertising revenues have tripled.

The other was an internet slang translator (a small version of noslang.com) again all the module does is pull users away from my site, and away from my advertisers. I've left it up (as i currently don't advertise on the main page) but pretty soon i'm going to have to re-vamp it in order to get the users to look at the additional content that the site offers.

it really comes down to incentive... I have a TON of great ideas for modules, but what's in it for me? Something has to pay for the bandwith I'd use to do them.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I agree with your argument that the only incentive for many module-makers is that they can at least promote their site!

I should add that not all modules must need your bandwidth, in fact that's one of the cool things about modules, that you can outsource bandwidth; I can create a multi-search widget, and instead of hosting it on outer-court.com, I can host it on Google's gmodules.com caching system, which then polls my HTML only once every Nth minute, no matter if there's 1,000 users or 1. Of course, as soon as your module needs to interact with your database or something – a pretty basic need for many modules – you'll be back to bandwidth-costs, absolutely agreed.

Another incentive for developers may be to create just-for-fun modules for their community, just go give something back. (I might be a Digg fan so I create a Digg widget, and then I'm giving back to the Digg-community, which I identify with...)

Elias Kai [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Without distribution, no million ?

Suresh S [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

i do not know who will promote this?

http://www.google.com/ig/add?
moduleu rl=http://ssuresh83.googlepages.com
/Gadget_PVR_Suresh.xml

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!