Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail vs Yahoo mail spam filters

Juan [PersonRank 0]

Thursday, January 11, 2007
17 years ago6,115 views

Hi, anyone have compared Gmail vs Yahoo mail spam filters?
Yahoo is not very good.
I don´t want to switch to gmail but if spam filter is real good maybe I consider it.
Thanks.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Gmail's spam filter is really good, IMO, though I don't have any direct comparison to Yahoo unfortunately. It seems to be a dozen times better than Hotmail, for example. Still, Gmail will let some spam through, I get around 20 in my inbox every day... (but I also never obfuscate my email address).

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

yeah I agree , Gmails spam filter is top of the line!! But i still get about 2% false postives for some reason.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I also have a question: do you check you spam box?
-I don't.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I don't...

Juan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

with Yahoo you have to check the spam malbox.
also one should mark unfilteredspam as spam, but I use it as pop so I get the unfiltered spam when I download email and then i can´t mark it as spam to improve filtering.
is gmail spam filter good for any language?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I kinda browse thru names only.. thats when I see my 2%..

if its more then 100 + in spam.. I just delete.. without scanning!!

BUGabundo [PersonRank 7]

17 years ago #

i check a couple of times per week, to see if some not-spam email went there.
if there are too much I just empty it.
I also have the habit of emptying my trash

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I used to check my spam folder for false positives, but I never found any, and these days if I leave it for longer than a couple of days there's 2-300 messages so I don't bother.

I get about 2 or 3 spam messages coming through the filter every day.

Juan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Reto, you forgot to mention if you use Gmail or Yahoo

Juan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I checked gmail from the web and there were 2 new email, but when I use my email client to download them there was a delay, I did not get them, I had to wait.

Juan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

please, need help.
if you chose to keep spam in the bulk folder for x time it seems (sure Yahoo) if you use a POP client you get all spam or not
do I haveto chose to delete spam as it arrives and risk false positives?
thanks

Juan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Now I know in Yahoo you have a choice for POP to get all or not the spamguard marked

Michael Hart [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

You don't have that option in Gmail – From the help, "You should also keep in mind that spam and trash aren't automatically downloaded."

But, I've never found a false-positive in my spam on Gmail. To answer the original question, I stopped checking my spam folder after about 2 months. I still get 2-3 spam emails a day...

Juan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

It seems in Yahoo mail that if you add an email to your contact lists, mail from that address will not be marked as spam (I add the sender of a legit email that was filtered and immediately appeared in the inbox).

Yahoo allows to upload a file with email contacts. Yo can also export the contact list.

I don´t see how to do this in Gmail. Anyone know how to upload/export contacts in Gmail?.

Juan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I saw a contact link in Gmail. thanks

Juan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

A difference is that Gmail allows to retrieve mail from other POP accounts.

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

My experience:
I was having my mail hosted on some server & it was working fine with absolutely zero spam
the day i moved it to the hosted domain service of Google, i started getting spam in the spam box.

I wonder why it started in the first place.
Coincidence or something wrong?
Are spammers digging Google mail or Google hosted services more for addresses to spam?

With yahoo things seems to be working fine with a few false negative but I still like spam filter of gmail.

./Rohit

Graham Cox [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Having been indisposed for 5 months , I checked my years long established yahoo accounts to find they had deleted them with all my back mail.

Yahoo is the devil. Google are angels . End of argument

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!