Google Blogoscoped

Forum

New Google Updater wants you to download more

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, January 18, 2007
17 years ago4,155 views

With the release of the first non-beta version of Google Earth 4 last week, I used the Check for updated version option from GE's drop down menu to find and install the current version. As part of the update process, I noticed it installed a Google Updater application that is running in the background.

Today, a balloon popped up telling me there were new updates available via the Google updater, which when clicked on took me to a Google Pack related page that appeared to recognize programs from the Google Pack I did not have installed and suggested I install them. There was a Google photo viewer (not Picasa), Skype, and Norton Anti-Virus 2005.

Honestly, I am very annoyed at this. I ended up with another task that always runs in the background, and Google is actively trying to get me to download more stuff. I can say no, but people like my parents, who I have told to always except the Google updates when prompted like for Picasa, could end up with crap they don't need.

Even worse, installing Norton over their existing anti-virus solution could be a diaster. Even if Norton prompts them to uninstall thier existing anti-virus program, they are installing a program that is now two years old.

Am I over reacting? Or should I be annoyed?

Tony

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Did it ask you if you wanted to install the updater? If not, I call shenanigans – that's uncool behaviour.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"Google photo viewer" must be Picasa.

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I don't think the photo viewer was Picasa. I have Picasa installed, and the description talked about being used as a screen saver and photo viewer. It did not offer any other programs I have installed either from the Pack. I can't find any info of a Photo viewer on Google's site.

I installed the Google Earth update on two different computers and got the updater on each one of them. I did not notice an option to opt out of anything, other than resetting my default search engine.

I don't recall being offered the option to not install the updater. I remember being surprised by it, but figured it was a good thing since I have several Google desktop applications installed including Google Earth, Picasa and Sketchup.

In general, I am OK with the concept of the updater being there. What has upset me is it flagging my attention and suggesting I install additional, unrelated software.

Here's a link to Google's page on the updater :http://www.google.com/support/pack/bin/answer.py?answer=30252&topic=8326&hl=en&gl=us

TonyB

17 years ago #

Install the photo viewer and let us know what's inside.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Was the Google photo viewer not just the Google Pack Screensaver?

<< Google Pack Screensaver

Enjoy your favorite photos when your computer is idle

Turn photos from your personal collection into a screensaver
View your photos full screen or as a virtual collage >>

http://pack.google.com/intl/en/product_info.html?ss

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I bet it was the Screensaver, Tony.

TonyB

17 years ago #

I still can't visit pack.google.com in Firefox 2. The page keeps refreshing. In IE and Opera, it loads just fine.

[ I don't have Google Pack.]

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Tony, it really sucks. You do not over react. It's bogus bundleing. Google tries to force inferior software upon the people by it's reach.
They should dump the bad apples and focus on their world class services. I use more and more of them. No need to force feed in those cases. Skype is great but why use Norton if you have ClamWin (open source)?

GHONEIM [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

thankess google

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

THe Updater should be renamed and services should be a notify that updates are available..just blindly pushing s/w updates and new s/w to a user is a bunch of crap!

I recently had to rework a sandbox and its a cumbersome process that is faily not healthy for a non technical person.. I sincerly think that google can do a better job at thier service suite on how they push updates..soon its goin to be like 'patch tuesday' syndrome!!

pacificdave [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google Pack has a lot of potential. I can't believe they're letting it go to waste as it currently has. It hasn't worked for me in FF2 for the last couple of months. The page keeps refreshing.

Seriously... come on Google...

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

i've never once had it alert me that there was an update.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!