Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Mathias, Wikipedia Admin  (View post)

E M [PersonRank 1]

Monday, January 29, 2007
17 years ago6,662 views

English tip: as a predicate, you say "Mathias is 25 years old", but as an adjective, you say "Mathias is a 25 year old student." Note the absence of an "s" in the latter. (I just speak the language, I don't understand it...) Feel free to delete this comment after you've read it.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

(Thanks E M, fixed! I always appreciate grammar tips!)

Rama [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Great first-class interview. Really indepth and thorough. Really enjoyed it.

One pet peeve. They had a million dollar drive, but they don't tell where that money will be used. They have no published plans as to how they are spending that money. Correct me if I am wrong, but their latest fund drive leads a lot to be desired. As a contributor long time before WP became the greatest buzz, their fund campaigns use to detail out how they are planning to spend the money. As they grew bigger and bigger, their accountability leaves me wondering what is going on.

Anyhow, Wikipedia rocks and a sincere thanks to all those who make it possible :)

Seth Finkelstein [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Now, now, Philipp – "I wanted to get an actual & factual inside view." – you won't necessarily get a *factual* view by interviewing non-neutral people with a conflict of interest (:-) – I'm parodying the Wikipedia anti-expert rhetoric here).

Every bureaucracy has idealistic people who get into the job because they believe in the goals of the organization. These people are the *worst* to interview for some purposes, because they do a lot of grunt work for little reward, and don't take advantage of opportunitues for petty power tripping.

But the question is not whether such good people exist. The question is whether there's much ability to get redress against the bad people.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The interview in Chinese:

http://google.blogoscoped.cn/?p=35

(Great job!)

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

After "research" this "terrible" long article, my thinkings here:

1.Chinese Wikipedia should also use German mode. Register a company under chinese law to operate Chinese Wikipedia.

2.Wilipedia will come to a dead result for theory. This world, always have many answers for one question. The edit war really not useful for the content. Why not use Google way a little? Not to make it be, Just let it be.

3.Just place the different openion and content under the same topic, and let visitor digg it. (Also I not consider Digg.com is the best vote way. I mean use the Adsense way to Digg it.)

Wikipidia is a big powerful money machine, why not make money? Is Money Maoism?

Steven [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I think Wiki is one of the most honest resources on the Internet today but I do think there a few questionable items that should be exposed.

-The funding. How is this money spent.

-Linking. There are several large scale outbound links provided to commerical "for profit" companies. The first one that ones to mind is Wiki Travel. Owned by Internet Brands their web statement clearly labels the site as a commercial enterprise.

How do companies like this get thousands of free links from Wiki? and should there not be a wiki page that details how wiki dontations are spent?

Tim 'avatar' Bartel [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

About funding and how the money is spend, the text "What we need the money for" which is linkend in the interview and can be found at http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/What_we_need_the_money_for give some basic information. Hopefully the latest budget will be published shortly.

Anthere [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Very thorough and clear. Grassroot explanations. Very cool :-) Thanks

Tim L. Walker [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Great read! Thanks for taking the time to do this long post! :)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!