Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Share GVid and YouTube Videos Through Orkut [fixed title]

DPic [PersonRank 10]

Friday, February 2, 2007
17 years ago3,599 views

"From now on, when you see that crazy video you feel is a must see for all your friends, now you can create your own video playlist on orkut to share with anyone who visits your profile. Just copy the video URL from your favorite YouTube or Google Video hosted videos, and your friends can enjoy watching your top videos through orkut. And because we know your friends will love your videos as much as you do, we've added an "Add to my favorites" button that lets you easily make your friend's favorite videos appear on your list."

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/02/action-roll-orkut-videos.html

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The title is a little misleading, you don't send the videos, you just add to your favorite list and share to people who visits your profile home page.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yeah, you're right about that sorry- i meant share not send

jilm [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

They should completly revamp Orkut, not bother by such a minor updates.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

They're working on that. I don't see how they couldn't be. The two social sites they own are orkut and dodgeball. It seems that the two are running "independently" for the time being, similar to YouTube. Orkut is more of the Facebook/Myspace thing and Dodgeball is cell phone oriented.

I've specualted about a new Orkut that would merge with dodgeball as well as have a completely new look and feel and incorporate Google Video, Calendar (for events like Facebook has), Google Talk, better search functionality, Blogger and personalized homepage for blogs and personalizing profile pages etc, and NevenVision/PicasaWeb for photo recognition. Somewhat recently, JotSpot was rumored to being put to use in some sort of social project. And there is also word that there is a secret social project being developed that will take advantage of the collaborative tools that JotSpot offers.

Orkut has just added SMS messages which i think could be a sign that dodgeball could eventually be a part of the redesigned orkut and also the ability to share GVid and YouTube video's. Not long ago, they integrated Orkut with Google Talk, and they have added some better search functionality, although not nearly the quality/functionality that i would expect from google.

I am almost positive that although yes, the minor changes are appearing, but they are working on a very big change behind the scenes. Social networking is a big market, and could be expanded greatly using JotSpot's collaboration abilities. Google isn't going to ignore the obvious huge profit that can be made from social networking sites like myspace and facebook. They've talked about having big plans with orkut in the past. They're working hard behind the scenes, i believe, because the're doing something big, and they want to do it right.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I also see Orkut profiles as feasibly becoming profiles for Google Talk since they already provide a link to people's Orkut profiles (provided you have linked the two).

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!