Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Brandt

Missy [PersonRank 4]

Thursday, July 22, 2004
19 years ago

Could this guy have any more of a persecution complex? Yes, yes, Google cares so much about the paranoid ravings of one lone looney that they're out to get him at all costs, right down to re-writing the WHOLE GODDAMNED ALGORITHM just to screw up his "fun".

He sure thinks a lot of himself, doesn't he?

(Never mind that Googlebombing *period* dilutes the pool of useful search results and should *all* be stomped out in favor of usability. Sheesh.)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

I do also not believe that Google changes their results just to fight a single Googlebomb. They have billions of spam pages to fight and the only way is to adjust algorithms on a higher, more meaningful level.

Daniel Brandt [PersonRank 3]

19 years ago #

No one would disagree that a page can rank based on the anchor text in external links, even if the words in that anchor do not appear on the page. This is the essence of a Google bomb.

Now why can't Google install the inverse of this, so that a page can "derank" based on certain words. This would be a good way to fight spam, as well as address the problem of Google bombs.

It's not a question of Google changing their entire algorithm for me. I'm only saying that the words "executives" and "touch" were desensitized in terms of how that one specific page at www.google.com/corporate/execs.html ranks for those words. How else can you explain why all of a sudden those words are hypersensitive for that page? Depending on what you put into the search box, that page will show up at number 1 or get buried below 1000. The difference between the two has a lot to do with the placement of two words in your search box, "executives" and "touch." What I'm claiming is not unreasonable, and if you run your own experiements, it's essentially undeniable.

Alterego [PersonRank 2]

19 years ago #

Daniel,

If you know of good ways to fight spam, try here:

http://www.google.com/jobs/

/Alterego

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!