Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Inpropper use of Google on TV

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, February 25, 2007
17 years ago2,757 views

Google said that they didn't mind people saying they 'Googled something' as long as it was using Google.

For the first time (that I know of). A character in a soap opera (Corronation Street) has said they where 'Googling something' but when it was shown they where using a search engine called 'swolly'. As Corronation Street is the most viewed british Soap Opera, this reference could lead to others using the verb 'to Google' being used to mean searching on any search engine.

Or I could just be over reacting :-/

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Despite what many people think, Coronation Street is not real life – and I don't think it's possible for Google to sue imaginary characters... ;-) (Of course, they could probably try to take action against the Granada TV company if they really wanted though.)

BTW, check this recent Google Blog post:

<< Susan googled [how to find a Russian Tortoise] and bang – we had a game plan.
When we tell friends and family about googling How to Find a Russian Tortoise, they bust a gut in laughter!
While our lawyers may not be happy with Jim's use of 'googled' and 'googling', we are very pleased that Jim and Susan were able to find what they needed by searching on Google. >>

From: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/02/you-never-know-what-youll-need-to-know.html

Wouldn't their lawyers be fine with this use of the words googled and googling? As a Senior Product Marketing Manager, surely Anita Yuen should know what's acceptable and what's not. Perhaps she should read this post again:

<< [P]lease only use "Google" when you’re actually referring to Google Inc. and our services. >>

From: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/10/do-you-google.html

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Proper-usage-of-words nazis!

17 years ago #

We've been brainwashed.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yes, I know that CS isn't real life. I was just commentig on the incorect use and Google becoming so big it's mentined (incorrectly) in a soap opera.

In the above case I think that Google shouldn't be sueing because Google is now in the dictioary as a verb, which is what it was used as.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Chris Moyles says it every week.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Could Google really sure for somebody using the term 'google" wrong?

And what kind of dealings do you think were made to get 'google' in the dictionary? any? none? I'd think so but i don't really know

17 years ago #

<< Could Google really sure for somebody using the term 'google" wrong? >>

I doubt they would sue just anybody – but if Microsoft starting a "Googling just got easier with Live.com" campaign, I'm sure they would sue.

<< And what kind of dealings do you think were made to get 'google' in the dictionary? >>

Dealings by Google? I'm pretty sure none. The OED make their decisions based on word usage in the media and other publications...

<< To determine whether a word has caught on, we normally require several independent examples of the word being used, and also evidence that the word has been in use for a reasonable span of time. The exact span of time and number of examples can vary from word to word: a word may be included on the evidence of only a few examples, if these are spread out over a long period of time. Conversely, a large number of examples collected over a short period of time can show that a word has very quickly become established. >>

http://www.oed.com/about/writing/choosing.html

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!