Google Blogoscoped

Forum

YouTube Reportedly Blocked in Turkey  (View post)

Meriç Kara [PersonRank 0]

Wednesday, March 7, 2007
17 years ago6,295 views

Yep; the users who have chosen Turkish Telecom as their internet service provider can not access YouTube since this very morning. (this is almost 90 percent of total internet users in Turkey).
But this problem can be solved by using some public DNS servers instead of Turk Telecom's defaults.

Musti [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

There is not only censored youtube but also very other sites, especially private forums where users shared their mp3s or other kind of warez stuff. Censoring is getting more and more actual in Turkey..

JohnMu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

typo: stroy/story

Here's another thread (not very much information though): http://groups.google.com/group/Google_Webmaster_Help-Requests/browse_thread/thread/15c9c38530b185c7/

Yas [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

This is an habit of us again, overreacting. Youtube had already taken that video off the site before that court order.

Nanaki [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

You don't want to insult Atatürk in Turkey, they've been brainwashed like hell over there. Even (young) persons you won't expect it from, still hail to the name.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

(Updated with a comment from YouTube)

Rafa [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

"I’m very sorry that my country will cause such a bad reputation by these censorships"
Mert, I really, really understand you. Did you hear about Cicarelli?

cherie taraghi [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I am so disappointed and saddened by this news that I find it difficult to actually function properly today- it is like a slap in the face. I'd like to quote my boss' comment on the whole event: ' then we might as well decide to be part of the tww.com instead of the www.com' becuase with this decision we have decided to not only exclude a video insulting Ataturk or Turkish identity but the whole world!! How can we decide to monitor the thoughts and vision of a whole group of people with material from the whole world? What if my preference as a person living in Turkey is to watch videos about Indian Bollywood stars? or some other totally irrelevant material? Yes people should be respectful and polite and we hope that they will be, but we cannot decide the thought and vision of a whole group of people in this way...

cherie taraghi [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

as a clarification tww.com (turkish wide web) as opposed to www.com (world wide web) which is what www normally implies!!

Hakan Tuncel [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Newspapers in Turkey report that this ridiculous ban has been lifted by the same court, although I'm still getting the 'access is banned' page. Might be the DNS. Anyway, the court ruling has been widely ridiculed here in Turkey as well. 'An anonymous Turkish BoingBoing reader' has some very good background information in boingboing.net http://www.boingboing.net/2007/03/07/update_on_turkey_ban.html

Maria [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I think there is a fine thin line between freedom of speech and insult. Moral and ethical values nations vary and as the service provider, it is their responsibility to respect everyone's values. And I believe that's why the video is removed from YouTube. What if Sergey and Larry were exposed to a video where Moses was having a relationship with a goat. Do you think that would be OK with them or do you think the site would be attacked and blocked? It is unfortunate that this happened but it should also be taken as a sign by "User Generated Content" sites to be more proactive in monitoring the content that they publish.

aytacakoz [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Nobody says anything about M.Kemal ATATURK... He didn't die. He live in our hearts. Please read carefully his life.. Only read and see him.. We can open www.youtube.com with anonimous proxies or change our dns . But we don't this...

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Maria: You can't pander to everyone's values. Take your example about Moses and goat: I'm pretty sure no one at Google would bother to remove that. There's lots of more objectionable content on the Internet that Google wouldn't blink an eye at. Christian fundamentalists might be outraged, but they'd hardly be surprised, and they'd still be in the minority, anyways. There are fine moral/ethical issues about various degrees of freedom of speech and tolerance, but I think this case is pretty clear: Turkey needs to accept that people have a right to speak their minds.

Phil Defer [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

>Update: A YouTube spokesperson tells me:
>
>... We should note, however, that the video in question is no longer
>on the site.

Not the first time that Google kowtows to censors is it? It's cowardly towards the Turkish people who disapproved such court decision IMO.

Onur [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

YouTube is no longer censored in Turkey.

Shahaab Yaarmohammadi [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

here in Iran, YouTube is blocked by the government few months ago

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!