Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Ads on Google's Homepage?!

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, March 10, 2007
17 years ago6,367 views

<<There are more advertising-related changes to come, Google indicated, which do include advertising on its front pages.

Other changes include small-size ads with images that are expected to appear soon. Banner and other kinds of larger-scale ads may soon also appear on the Web sites hosting Google's video and picture search.

But "we haven't started the experimenting yet," said a Google spokesperson. >>

Jan 2006 – eWeek
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1907769,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

That's pretty radical.

But, it would make sense to include the ads on Personalized Homepages. The ads could work in a similar, relevant way to the "Interesting Items" gadget, but instead embedded into the page.

In fact, I think that would be quite cool.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Why does Google think it makes sense to include stuff like "New to Google Checkout? Sign up and get $10 for your next purchase." on the personalized homepage (but not on the normal homepage), by the way? Do they figure people who use google.com/ig like their homepage cluttered anyway, and want to process more information? I find this link really unrelated, more like something Yahoo would do.

17 years ago #

You're right, but that link is similar to the one-line promos that are featured from time to time on Google's (classic) homepage. The personalized home should have personalized ads (maybe a gadget that can be moved but not deleted?).

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Or maybe something like a competition gadget that's added by default. You can win prizes sometimes, but the other times it's showing ads. Sort of like an incentive to keep the gadget, though it's up to users if they want to remove it. Or maybe some revenue sharing – you get micropayments whenever you click on an ad :)

17 years ago #

Oh dear. Somebody spotted this forum post and the result is...

http://digg.com/tech_news/Google_to_have_ads_on_Front_Page

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

yeah they need a revenue sharing method with their users.. this will certainyly have some value!!

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< yeah they need a revenue sharing method with their users.. this will certainyly have some value!! >>

What do you mean pd?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I want to be paid if I have a Google ADsense Type of Gadget on my homepage. / blog /wherever..

I get a cut on the PPC and CPM .. its jsut like adsense, but its only google doing the advertisers.. on their own propteries within their own community..!!

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

no way will they have banner ads like Y! on their front page. if they do, I am outta there. Hat e-week piece is from over a year ago.

17 years ago #

<<e-week piece is from over a year ago>>

I explicitly stated that after the quote.

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

yes, and a year later, still no ads. it will never happen. the blank white page is key to the mystique. they lose that, that's the start of the fall of the roman empire.

for google, the mystique is EVERYthing. ask, msn, yahoo, they all do search well. google has the AURA.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!