Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail question

Gmailer [PersonRank 1]

Wednesday, March 14, 2007
17 years ago3,357 views

I have a question I have several Gmail accounts used for different things. there all forwarded into my main Gmail accounts with the filters & labels just the way I want it

My question is do I have to log into each of these accounts to prevent them from being deleted? or since I have them all forwarded into one account will Google itself log into them to check to see if there's mail to forward and thus prevent the account deletion

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google dont act like Yahoo!
Yahoo! closes your account after sometime you havent logged in.
(this information is correct to the time i used Yahoo! mail, and that was a long time ago :P)

i have a Gmail account which i dont really use.
i havent logged in to it since July, last year.

so as i said, Google will NOT delete you accounts.. :)

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Hotmail is just as bad (as Yahoo).

My sister used an hotmail account to coördinate a camp (for children who normally wouldn't be able to go on a holiday), but because the camp is held only once a year she didn't check it for 6 months. When she wanted to start again for the next camp everything was gone.

In that light giving out 2 gigs of space is almost sadistic.

17 years ago #

and, she uses Gmail now ?!

Gmailer [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Gmail says they delete account after 9 months

is this false?

17 years ago #

where did you get this information from?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

http://www.google.com/search?q=GMail+accounts+that+have+been+inactive+for+9+months&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

More officially, here:

<< After nine consecutive months of inactivity, Google may delete the account and all messages within that account.

If your dormant account is deleted, we can't guarantee that your username will be made available again. >>

In UK English:

<< After nine consecutive months of inactivity, Google will delete all messages in the account, close it and recycle the username.

If your dormant account is deleted, we cannot guarantee that you will be able to use your previous username again once it has been recycled. >>

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6563

Hmm... may vs. will? And will they recycle the username or not? Maybe they decided not to for security reasons (as previously discussed on this forum).

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> Hmm... may vs. will?

Looks like the British are less forgiving :)

17 years ago #

lol...
yeh Philipp :)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

LOL.. the brits have always been less forgiving :)-

But seriously.. "MAY Vs WILL" is not the right wording /message at all for the users ? Like Tony ..will they recycle the username or not after nine months ??

In fact, google should use Std BCP and use "MAY" & "SHOULD" verbiage

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!