Google Blogoscoped

Forum

What to wear to my Google face-to face interview?

Hopeful Googler [PersonRank 0]

Friday, March 23, 2007
17 years ago9,974 views

I know its kinda random, but first impressions are everything. This is for one of the online sales positions, and i'm not sure if i should go with the usual slacks, dress shirt and tie or if i should go a bit more casual? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I would like to think that Google doesn't select people based on what they wear to their interviews but rather what they say. Whether that's true or not is another case entirely.

Personally, I'd go in whatever you feel most comfortable. Most people who don't usually wear a collar and tie took terribly uneasy when they do wear them, so that can give a bad impression. (I'd much rather interview someone who feels at ease in a t-shirt and jeans than someone who feels uncomfortable in a shirt and tie.)

And if all you've got to worry about is what to wear, you should have no problem getting the job whatever you choose to wear! :-)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

http://blog.penelopetrunk.com/2007/03/20/dressing-for-success-dont-do-it-all-the-time/
(from a Goog employee: head of staffing for Online Sales and Operations)

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

well, don't wear a Yahoo! t-shirt....

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Oh. A set of Google Fans fashion will be good. Cap, Jans, T-shirts, Hoodies, Belt, Watch.

If you design by yourself, that will be very very cool.

Kate Miller [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

well, whenever u go for interview u just like a professional person & most important How to u express your self.

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

You must mention you know Philipp...:)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

My opinion, don't let others determine your style. If you like what you wear and they don't like it, then they don't deserve you or you're not right for the job, either which, that's best to find out early...

Richard L. Brandt [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

I'd go with casual. No tie. I've been to Google several times and nobody wears a tie. Almost everyone is jeans and T-shirt. You can dress up a bit from that – slacks and a dress shirt, but you'd look way out of place with a tie.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!