Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Beyond Keywords?

DPic [PersonRank 10]

Monday, March 26, 2007
17 years ago2,419 views

We will soon be able to interact with computers by speaking to them, and even asking questions. Mike Lynch, founder and CEO of Autonomy, says that Google has 'dumbed-down search'. (http://networks.silicon.com/webwatch/0,39024667,39152404,00.htm) Should Google pretend to be Ask Jeevs and extract keywords from a question or should Google take searching beyond just keywords and truly innovate searching?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google should ideally (in the future) understand real natural language, though we probably still end up typing it for quite a while (speaking brings with it so many problems, like privacy issues in an typical environment).

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This might sound totally ridiculous, but it surprisingly isn't: i think thought control will be widely used before speech. I saw the UK's Gadget Show program, and they used a Lie Detector, hooked up to a simple PC app called "Mind Writer", and they used boolean signals to choose the correct letters and write a word.

This method, speeded up, perfected and applied to a decent user interface, could be so powerful.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

No, not surprising at all :) I've read some about this as well and now that i think about it i agree with you.

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

For the using search engine, begin with a Keyword enough. For nature language, sometimes I can not understand my thinking in the brain clearly. It is just a feeling, can feel some point shinning.

Use Keyword, then search more articles, then research, then get result.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!