Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Toolbar Bug?  (View post)

Henrique Gusso [PersonRank 2]

Friday, July 8, 2005
19 years ago

Yeah, right, the problem is with you man, you don't know how to configure it! it may have this bug, but only to you, this isn't happening to me, the toolbar is perfect, and man, I really disliked this all-of-a-sudden reaction to just a simple bug that may be fixed simply by cleaning the history or cache.

I've been visiting your blog for a long time, and I didn't expect this attitude =(
very bad

Google Fanboy [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Google can do no wrong! If you discover a bug, then the problem is with you!

Adam Lasnik [PersonRank 2]

19 years ago #

Hmm... that's odd... I don't see the same thing. Are you sure you installed the new Google-created toolbar, or did you install a Google Toolbar built by a third party?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Adam, yes, I installed the official Google toolbar.

Several things didn’t work for me, like the spell-checker, or the strange logo cache bug. Other things I found worked better for me with existing tools, like the lack of a number displayed next to the PageRank bar. I also was slightly disappointed (not at Google, more at Firefox) that I couldn’t move the toolbar next to the file menu to save screen space, like I was able to with IExplorer.

Henrique, what is the problem with me uninstalling software that doesn’t work for me yet? Do I have the responsibility to carry software that doesn’t work for me just because there may be others out there which don’t experience the problem? I mention the bugs I’m having precisiely *because* I want to see if others experience the same, and I never said this is a problem with the toolbar for *all* people. It’s possible you might have misread something I said, or at least misunderstood the tone of my post.

On the other hand, I will probably give the Firefox toolbar another try soon enough, maybe on the next release. I’m not a big user of toolbars in the first place as I like my browser as uncluttered as possible...

PS: I removed the "name calling" post...

GoogleGuy [PersonRank 1]

19 years ago #

It's most likely a caching bug between you and Google. The last time I saw something like that, it was at a UK ISP. The problem was eventually narrowed down to (ironically) an Inktomi caching server that wasn't clearing out the cache directly. Parts of the Google logo were being replaced with world flags. It was very strange, and took us a while to isolate the problem since it wasn't at our end.

It certainly could have been the toolbar, but I'm not aware of any reports like what you mentioned. I'll keep my ears open though.

Best,
GoogleGuy

19 years ago #

I'll strongly assume now it wasn't the Google Toolbar then. Thanks GoogleGuy. The spell-checking problem remains though. Good job anyway on a great Firefox toolbar.

Henrique Gusso [PersonRank 2]

19 years ago #

Well, you were right, I overreacted. Actually, I was very pissed that day, so I'm sorry if I offended you.

What I meant is that I was disappointed that you were quitting using a great piece of software just for a simple bug. Of course I still like your blog and I still like your posts, it's just that many bad things happened to me that day...

19 years ago #

Thanks Henrique. Saprano, I removed your last post, I don't want to add any bad feelings on either site, hope you understand. I'm closing this thread now.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!