Google Blogoscoped

Forum

MegaUpload's AdSense Integration  (View post)

Ferran Arricivita [PersonRank 1]

Friday, April 6, 2007
17 years ago5,495 views

But when I try to download a file, it says:

This file was brought to you by:

and a Google Adsense Ad!

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

There's somethign else shady going on with the time it takes to upload.

I tried to upload a favicon image, and gave up after 2 minutes.

I think there's an artificial delay designed to get you to click on ads.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Hmm. I also use delays on some sites of mine to prevent too fast click throughs (which stresses my server).

Andreas [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Hi!

I'm from germany and can confirm that the text definitly says:

"Open the Ad in a new window through a click on the right mouse button, otherwise the download will be interrupted."

Hope this was not as much bad english ;-)

Greetings!

Saz [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

leave MegaUpload alone, there are tons of websites using bots and click throughs and your worried about an geniune upload site which helps thousands daily, you lot need to get a life.

AlenĂ´nimo [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I never clicked an ad on MegaUpload. I guess the warning is because the window will change if you don't open the advertisment in another window.

Ferran Arricivita [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Sure Megaupload is a great service, but Google Adsense is good service too and IMO we have to take care of it too.

Trogdor [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

Interesting. Couldn't the AdSense be embedded in an iframe, whose target is _blank (new window)? Or, am I just clueless about AdSense.

This is an interesting wrinkle on how we see the ToS for AdSense. After all, G vaguely says we're to avoid inciting people to click, and this is too close for comfort to that territory ...

He he, maybe if they're in the Webmasters Console they'll get a personal message from G about it.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Trogdor, AdSense doesn't allow you to open links in a new window... for whatever reasons (and I'm sure it's requested often!).

<<Can I open the ads in a new window?

We understand the importance of maintaining the quality of your site and your site's user experience. However, at this time we do not have an option to open Google ads in a new browser window. Please do not modify the AdSense ad code or alter the result of clicking on an ad on your website, as this is against our program olicies.>>
https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/answer.py?answer=9737

Harry Maugans [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I think it's harmless though... they clearly identify it's an advertisement, and the user knows that when they click.

ShoeMoney [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I wonder if this also would fall under Googles new TOS saying you can not run Adsense on any page which provides links to copy written content including termpapers and other items.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!