Google Blogoscoped

Forum

[OT] interesting thought for music

DPic [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, April 7, 2007
17 years ago2,214 views

We've been talking about ways to search for music with sound etc. but i just thought, what if there was a program designed to make music.. Human-made music is limited by human ability to hit every note at the right time and all sorts of things but a program wouldn't have any of those limitations. Everything could be perfect, and it wouldn't cost a thing to make music. No studios would be needed to clean up the music or anything. Programs could dish out music faster and then what would the music industry do? Not that i like the music industry (grrr RIAA)- but even the indie labels would have no way of keeping up.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

There are programs that help to algorithmically create music. Even on my keyboard, I can play songs and than just hit the left-hand note to get the accompanying band switch from C to D minor. I can then take my song and transpose parts that I played, double them (with a changing instrument), and clean them up automatically to the rythm. And of course, I can increase the speed, so that a song I played very slow will now be at "normal" speed. I just did this for games music though. But popular music is so much more than that: you need to have a band that expresses the feelings of a generation through their ideas, behavior and style, and the whole thing needs to market itself someway (through a giant budget, or real word-of-mouth...).

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!