Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Ask.com adding social aspect to search

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, April 24, 2007
17 years ago3,002 views

It looks like Ask.com is going to change their search algorithm and it is going to integrate things like click popularity of results and user-generated tagging as part of it.

I wrote up a post combining details from two different articles:
http://symbii.com/stories.php?sid=526&tid=55

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

When is this going to be rolled out?

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Funny, I was thinking that Google should take click popularity in determining order of results (not pure PageRank) just a week ago.

Damn! Should've patented it.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Considering Google does count clicks in results, it's likely they already considered this a long time ago. Whether or not they have this implemented is another quesiton. Maybe it's 1 of the many algos in result rankings, perhaps with stronger impact on personalized results (if you always click on Wikipedia, Wikipedia might get upranked for you).

John Honeck [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

if I never click on wikipedia will it just go away already?

I always wondered if someone were to add up all the death rate statistics for all of the particular causes out there, AIDS, smoking, seatbelts, etc, how many people would have to die a year for them all to be true. I'd imagine we'd be extinct in a few years if they were all right.

John Honeck [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

sorry, confused thoughts on two different subjects there.

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

They're apparently both upgrading infrastructure and rolling out Edison over the course of this year, assuming I'm reading it correctly (it's hard to tell if they're saying infrastructure this year and Edison next year, or both this year):

http://searchengineland.com/070412-154815.php

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

They've just launched a new TV advert campaign in the UK, saying something along the lines of "discover the other side of the internet"...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!