17 years ago2,415 views

sort by date with duplicates
http://news.google.com/?q=google&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

What does that mean?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Probably "sort by date" removes duplicate news. The new "sort by date with duplicates" shows the duplicates as well.

17 years ago #

And what's a duplicate?
E.g. two news releases which carry the same Reuters-based story?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Compare:

http://news.google.com/news?ie=UTF-8&q=google+state+records&scoring=n

with

http://news.google.com/news?ie=UTF-8&q=google+state+records&scoring=d

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Why the heck would you want duplicates included?

That is bad user interface design, in my opinion. There should, considering Google's experience with search, be two kinds of searches when looking for news...

1) a general search (e.g. "google") – this tips in favour of NON DUPLICATE content, so you get a varied summary of recent news on Google.

2) a specific search (e.g. "google refuses to pay viacom") – this displays the DUPLICATE content, so the searcher can read different views and opinions on the same matter.

Am I right?

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> Am I right?

I don't thing so. "Duplicate" in this context means "exactly the same text" not "a text about the same topic". It's just that many sites publish the same text from News Agency or Press Information. Google gives you a choice – you can see only first appearance of this text, or have it enlisted every time it appeared in different sources.
The first option may be helpful when you just want to get different points of views, but not the same text over and over again. The sacond is piratical when you to know for example want how broadly this particular story was covered, that is how many sources published text about it (so you want to every appearance of the story, including duplicates).

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yeah i think Ludwik is right here...

17 years ago #

I think they should get rid of this link, or explain it better. Casual users won't even attempt all our guesswork, will they? And why isn't there even an help entry at their site that includes the phrase "Sort by date with duplicates included" so we can search for it?
And if they absolutely need it, why not go for the same style they have in web search results, like showing a link at the bottom reading "some duplicates have been removed _Show All_"?

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It should be just an advanced search option, instead of having different search modes.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!