Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Norvig on the Google AI  (View post)

Andreas [PersonRank 0]

Saturday, June 2, 2007
13 years ago4,421 views

Since Norvig is one of the speakers of the next Singularity Summit – sss.stanford.edu/ – one might have expected him to have a more practical approach towards artificial general intelligence. However, taking everything that is public about Google's attitude towards AGI into consideration, I conclude that:

- Google will need AGI in the long term (see Larry's comments).
- Google believes that the amount of time and technology that is necessary to achieve AGI is substantially larger than people like Ben Goertzel think.
- If an AGI startup like a2i2, Novamente or Shane Legg's startup can present actual results, Google will immediately buy it and Google's attitude towards AGI will change.
- If no startup achieves significant results, Google will continue its narrow AI approach.

Rio Akasaka [PersonRank 1]

13 years ago #

AI would be awesome and would be the one reason why I should graduate with a great GPA and a CS degree just so that I can get into Google. =)

On an irrelevant note, I've noticed the strangeness of the new way Google Image works. When you select "Showing: small images" you get primarily square images (whereas before I distinctly remember getting pictures of different sizes)... strange, hm?

On another irrelevant note, I just wanted to point out that the fourth annual International Weblogger's Day takes place June 14th, which is very soon, so please make sure to participate by visiting inweday.org.

Thanks Phillipp!

This thread is locked as it's old... but you can create a new thread in the forum. 

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!