Google Blogoscoped

Forum

3D Mailbox  (View post)

Josh Matthouse [PersonRank 1]

Monday, June 11, 2007
17 years ago3,432 views

Robert Savage: “I got the idea for the program after being bored for years using standard email programs..."

Seriously, do we need constant stimulation? Now from even email apps? I waste enough time checking email, I don't need to load a 3D program to do it slower. I'll stick with my efficient gmail.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Although I've never used it (I've only seen screenshots), VisitorVille was obviously suited to visualization because visualizing website visitors can be difficult and time consuming, so getting a good overview using either graphs, charts or (arguably) a 3D world is easier than looking at log files.

Do we really need to visualize our emails though? I don't think so.

I'm afraid I agree with Josh.

Shawkeden Appal D [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Anyone remember Microsoft Bob? No?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_bob

Good luck making that business model work. Even if you created the most visually stunning environment (which this fails miserably to achieve), it's highly impractical. Google, in my opinion, has achieved what could be the most optimized email application with Gmail, in that it is incredibly fast and easy to use. Putting a wrapper around email does nothing for the user but to slow them down.

But hey, don't take my word for it--let me know when the company folds.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Actually, I can think of several aspects in which a more visualized approach can be more useful, or useful as an alternative... contact networks for instance. Also, why does Gmail only show the portrait when you hover over the name, with no indicator before-hand that there's a portrait in the first place?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!