Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Chrome, Google's Browser Project  (View post)

Varun [PersonRank 3]

Monday, September 1, 2008
15 years ago218,584 views

Is it real. Or something just comical?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Here's Sergey Brin talking a bit about Chrome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RSHMheDIrM

On related note, older interviews or appearances by Sergey:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIx5F0vbjB4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1acoC5zjgM0
http://news.ntv.ru/132514/ [in Russian]

15 years ago #

Tony sent me this... Duncan Riley (I think it's him) sells a copy of the Google Chrome comic on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180286059012

Sajith [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I try to install several time in my vista, but it's coming following error to me "The Application failed to initialize properly (0x0000005). Click Ok yo terminate the application"

with Win Xp working properly. i hope it will come to worlds best web browser . cheers

person [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

in response to the review thing, it does have a full screen just click on the square in the top right... and did you not have problems with me it doesn't want to change text boxes on some sites and its really getting annoying, but im not having this problem here, maybe i just need to close the tab or something

Animatrick [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

See what the German say!
The Federal Office for Security in Information Technology (BSI) has consumers against the use of the new Google Internet browser "Chrome" warned.
http://www.n-tv.de

[signature removed]

Abercrombie [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I conducted a study with some forensics software to try recovering data from the Incognito Window. We couldn't find any trace of the data. Very interesting. I have a full writeup of the experiment at:
http://www.surfchrome.com/index.php/home/news-list-mode/70-incognito-mode-forensics

Mark Davey [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I installed chrome yesterday, love the application shortcut feature.

But then using google.docs and it would not print and gave me the message that adobe acrobat plugin was unresponsive.

so it's back to IE...........................

Edward W. Stanley [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Maybe what we need are browsers geared toward differing experiences...

i won't post my blog in fear of it being removed 'again'...

but google.. Edward W. Stanley and stillunwound for further musings on my mind... .. to continue...

or templates which supercede CSS... where vendors of monitors create colour profiles ... maybe a button for setting browser viewing perameters..

i know one thing that really grinds my gears.. is i'm on a high def tv... but need eyes of a hawk to read any website...

possibly browser makers could ease resolution changes for those who dont sit 5 inches away from the screen...

zoom is nice but its not really the right solution...

or at least let the drop down menu items be more like word used to be where you could put the ones you want where you like... or for that matter button bars where you like with the formatting that suits the user.. then i know it seems crazy but make it so you can bring them along with you or hot key various settings or better organize it...

i hate still feeling like i'm in an outer limits episode... where 'they' control the hortizontal.. they control the vertical.. for those old enough to remember the cutting edge show... it was old for me and i'm in my thirties now...

the day that google says were building shelter for cities but with control of the internet and the ED 209 guarding the place... Philip will truly be bang on... but i do give thme kudos for giving the appearence of options..

Murali [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Till I get 'Roboform' support, I will use Chrome sparingly... FF3 is currently the best one (for me) yet!

brinke guthrie [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer.html?hl=en&gl=us

No sign of Chrome (yet) in the long-neglected Google Pack.

deko [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

First impressions – I love it! But the History page should be a tree view with URLs as root nodes. The way History is displayed now is horrible. Users should also be able to choose a skin, or at least a color scheme. And what about plugins? Firefox has some kick-but plugins – like the web developer plugin. Will Chrome support plugins?

Falstaff [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I really like Chrome. A suggestion I have...

Add a refresh/reload option to the right-click menu. When I am reading blogs with lots of commenting, that is how I prefer to reload a page.

Vote The Day [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

[moved, unlinked]

It's bugged, and it's bugged a lot. It's almost official – votetheday.com/polls/googles-chrome-173/
I'm disappointed in Google – yeah, it's beta, but remember, how Gmail beta looked like... Looks like guys had to deliver it till deadline (10th birthday, maybe), and they were obviously short of time...
It's better than IE, but FF will live excellently long until Google fixes everything and makes enough plug-inns and versions for Mac/Linux...

Michael Williams [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

If you like Google Chrome's look and functionality then you should take a look at www.BonzoBox.com. It has the same look with much more functionality. I started using it about 6 months ago and absolutely love it.

MichaelaDa [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I want to install java, but it doesn´t work. I`ve downloaded Java 6.10 as written there in Chrome Help. Any one knows how I can install java. Please tell me:)

Mike [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Unfortunatly Chrome's Incognito mode isn't really private. It keeps so-called "flash cookies" even after leaving the Incognito mode. So every website can still keep track on you using this technique. And other users of your computer can see which websites you have visited too.

15 years ago #

Here's a bookmarklet that redesigns the "New Tab" default homepage a bit:
http://www.ernestdelgado.com/archive/chromeflow/

[Thanks Ernest!]

Alex Ksikes [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I am surprised Philipp you haven't noticed the way the tabs add up to the original tab instead of to the end of all tabs. That's a significant feature that will be widely copied and which I think is unseen in any firefox extension.

Alex Ksikes [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

and thank you Google for finally providing the killer feature of "searching what I have read". Not sure you covered that but finally we can not only search the title of the web pages in the history but also their content. That's a very powerful feature that strangely no one seemed to have gotten. Again it will copied.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Alex
There is already a FF extension to do this. I personally don't like this and prefer to have new tabs a the end (and occasionally reorganise them my self)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1956

Emil Razola Vennetti [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

"I don't care, I don't like the internet anyway"

John Williams [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Mark Davey said

"But then using google.docs and it would not print and gave me the message that adobe acrobat plugin was unresponsive.

The only problems I've encountered in a week of use were two large PDF downloads which stalled and took down Chrome not just the window in which they were running. Have since visited both pages and downloaded without trouble,

15 years ago #

Due to an error I made (thanks Tony for spotting it!) one of the above comments was showing under my name for the last 6 days*. It's fixed now...

* It was this one: http://blogoscoped.com/forum/139142.html#id140300

katy.taskwriter@gmail.com [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

We've discovered that Google Chrome is faster about 9 times then IE 6 for taskwriter.com. We've actually measured it. The results are really surprisingly! Just click on
www.taskwriter.com/blog/how-good-chrome-really-is/

[Unlinked – Tony]

webtrafficroi [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Chrome is still too primitive for me. It’s okay to give it a free spin and be wowed with some of underlings like multiprocessor and task manager, but the almost complete lack of customization at this point will relegate Chrome to the back burner on my PC.

[Signature removed – Tony]

Swen Z. [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I like the whole idea behind the new browser! I work a lot with video/film editing and uploading online and one issue that has come up a few times is when I go to upload a video file or an image file for a video on any site (this has happened to me on 4 different video hosting sites) with only a few tabs open, the whole browser crashes on me and I loose all the work I've just put into uploading my videos. If there is anyone out there who has experienced the same and has found a solution I would love to know how to fix this. Weather it's in the settings or if I need to change anything in the open source code of the browser I am willing to do anything as this wasts a lot of time in my work schedule.

Dan [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

As with all browsers Google Chrome seems to have it's ups and downs. Thankfully, they have produced yet another fantastic product based around a great concept. The browser has a unique simplicity that means they have expanded the viewing pane to a fantastic level, without being any less user friendly. In fact for what the browser can do it is very user friendly, and I haven't found myself stuck once trying to figure out how to do any of it's tricks.
I have found it very easy to make the websites I code compatible with Google Chrome, right down the last pixel.
It seems to be very fast and overall a fabulous product but there are a couple of things that bug me a bit. I have a bit of an issue that I can't seem to find a code to disable the dragging option for these text areas. I have a website I have just created with a form in a popup window with a form. The text box within the form can be dragged out of the window which isn't resizeable and then I've messed the whole page up and can't submit the form.[jamiewestband.com] I don't want to have to make the window with scroll bars because then IE will always have the scroll bars and will impact users browsing using IE.
Google always make a product exactly as it says on the tin. The browser is fantastic for what it is, and that's exactly what I want. An experience with a few small thrills, but mainly a simple, extremely well coded, well protected, well thought out, user-friendly environment. I don't ever want a million plug-ins on my browser to make my tabs different colours and slow my whole pc down so I can see a clock in the top right of my screen, but then add another thing that claims to make my browser faster to compensate. I want something that is quick and easy to use and get what I need done, I can rely on and as a coder is a pleasure to work with.

Migit [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I like google crome a lot but i believe that they should speed up to performance of the applets in it when ever i try to play a online game or run an applet it is really slow but other than that it is great

Migit [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

O i think that they should add an ad blocking add on or something so all those annoying side adds dont show up

L Peter [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Good looking and fast browser especially for a beta-version. Some more customisability, more complete bookmark handling (IE & FF import is not perfect), full keyboard support (even faster browsing) would be nice.

Sean [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Works great in out new Digital Signage web players ...

[signature removed bg]

Paulus [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

For anyone who wishes to fix the issue quickly, I have released a
patcher. You can download it here:

users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/pjt2v07/chrome/

Just run chrome_patch.exe. It will patch chrome.dll to fix the issue.

More info follows...

The issue is caused by Google Chrome setting incorrect information
about it’s scroll bars. Scroll bars’ positions appear to be at the top
(or left if the scroll bar is horizontal). Some mouse software (i.e.
the programs that run in the background/in your tray) use this
information and do not send scroll up messages to Chrome (since the
scroll bars already appear to be at the top). Mouse software which
does not use this information or mouses that do not need software to
help them scroll will therefore not be affected.

It is possible to patch the mouse software, but it makes more sense to
patch/fix Chrome.

I have created a patch that fixes the issue until an official fix is
released.
You can download/read more about it at users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/pjt2v07/chrome/

[Unlinked – Tony]

Paulus [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Some people have had an issue with not being able to scroll up using certain touch pads....see above

Gray [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I am totally willing to withstand any of its defects because of Chrome's speed. It is very easily overtaken Firefox as my favorite browser. And I came across this yesterday on Stumble Upon, which I thought was funny.
http://www.googlechromefans.com/the-best-google-chrome-feature/

rob page [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I've pulled down and installed Chrome. When I click on the Google Chrome icon nothing happens. The browser doesn't come up. I've re-enstalled it several times. Any ideas?
   Thanks.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!