Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail's "Me" Isn't Always You  (View post)

Tue Abrahamsen [PersonRank 7]

Thursday, July 5, 2007
17 years ago5,875 views

Haha, nice. I don't find this to be that big a problem, but interesting find nonetheless. What would be an appropriate workaround, if one was to fix this?

Jleagle [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

This isnt really a fault with gmail, just confusing.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Confusing for sure. Maybe it'll be useful if the real "me" (meaning the account owner) is marked bold, underlined or differenced some way.
At least, we know spam filter works well...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Agreed it's not a big problem, I think it's a very exotic thing to happen. A fix: expand all addresses that start with "me[put at-character here]*" to show the full email (in that case, the display would have been "me[put at-character here]aaronsw.com", not just "me", getting rid of all ambuigities... and perhaps do the same for "you" or any email starting with the Gmail user's first name, e.g. if your name is John then the email of another John should be expanded to e.g. "john[put at-character here]bla.com").

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Another fix is to add just the at-sign after each email user, e.g. me[put at-character here] (for me[put at-character here]aaronsw.com), john[put at-character here] (for john[put at-character here]bla.com). Heck, hovering over the at-sign could even trigger a tooltip showing the full email address.

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Roger Browne:
   That would make it once again unreadable...

Eytan Buchman [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Or, instead of placing the whole me[put at-character here]whatever.com, replace the name "me" with the domain name.

Suresh S [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

also spam mails have subject as " Re: "

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It gets confusing in cases where I have gotten what seem to be legitimate emails addressed to me. Expanding the information reveals it was sent to someone else and my name doesn't appear at all, implying either I was on the BCC and it's not showing me (but the email seemed legitimate and I didn't know the sender), or the email got misaddressed to me.

u.n.89 [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Talking about Gmail, I wonder when will they add new interesting features....? it's been a while..

IsoNick [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Or fix the annoying 'archive' bug. I can only only archive mails from 'All mail' box. If I archive in my Inbox, they keep comming back.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!