Google Blogoscoped

Forum

YouTube Kills 100 Videos & Closes Account over ONE Song

Search-Engines-Web.com [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, July 8, 2007
17 years ago3,137 views

His videos got 3 million viewers in 8 months. Free Guitar lessons for beginners.

The publisher of Brown Sugar by the Rolling Stones complained that one of their Riffs were used in one video – SO ALL Video got pulled and his account closed.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/northcounty/20070708-9999-7m8guitar.html

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11778602

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Its not as bad as the YoungTubersUnited thing

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I've not read the stories, but if that's true it's ridiculous.

This is exactly how young musician learn; they learn how to play a song and then show others. By playing that riff, he wouldn't have been harming their sales or anything, so why did those fat-cat music publishers even have to get involved? Seriously, have these music executives lost all common sense?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Maybe the software in charge of busting copyright infractions which is *too* powerful?

BTW, I know a more ridiculous story: once in France, at the end of the school year, a group of pupils sang "Good bye dear teacher" ("Au revoir monsieur le professeur"), a famous French song, because the year following they will not have the same teacher. A press article was made to related this poignancy moment. Days later, the "French RIAA" (SACEM), send a letter to the school, a bill of 100 dollars because of infringement of copyright... So ridiculous, the author of the original song has purposed to pay himself the bill...

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This copyright enforcement thing is going too far...

pacificdave [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'm in San Diego and I've met Taub once. He's a really cool guy. This "is" quite ridiculous. I can't believe Google didn't look into this more before deleting all his videos and account.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!