Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Nicholas Carr on Google Replacing Memory  (View post)

Brian Lakeman [PersonRank 0]

Friday, July 20, 2007
17 years ago3,001 views

I couldn't agree less. Granted, I do use Google quite frequently to look up addresses and phone number for local businesses, instead of flipping open the phone book. I have to look for them somewhere. Why not use the computer sitting right in front of me?

As for a replacement of my memory? I feel like I know more now than I ever have before. I amaze myself at the kinds of information I'm able to recall. I feel like a walking Holiday Inn Express commercial. "One of these days," I tell my friends, "all this knowledge is gonna save a life...mine and/or many others." Perhaps I'll pilot a pilot-less 747 onto a rainy tarmac in some far off country, because I remember the instrument layout from some website I ended up on one day. Or maybe, I'll be able to measure the paint thickness on a newly painted Ferrari, because I stumbled on the details of the machines they use to measure said thickness.

But, most likely, I'll simply be able to kick major butt at the local tavern's Monday night trivia contest. Either way, I'm more informed than I was before Google. And I plan to keep it that way.

Albert Cheng [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Yes, it will replace memory...just like paper, typewriters, copying machines, file cabinets, word processors, and computers replaced memory...

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think in some ways it will replace memory. How many people remember phone numbers these days? Out of the hundred numbers in my cell phone, I think I have only memorized about 15 numbers. The rest I know I can find easily on my phone so why remember them.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I stopped memorizing phone numbers some years ago... GUIDs should *not* appear exposed in user interfaces ;)

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The innovations based on the memories. For now, Google can not replace our memories, cause it can not consider instead of us.

Save the important things in the brain is important. Computer can not notice small details. Sometimes, element for win is detail. Without memory, how to seach the detail?

Google is a good tool that can help us works better.

I use a software named Phonedeck to call via modem. How about add this feature to Gtalk?

And I use a Software named Kingfax to send fax and recieve fax. How about add this features to Google Docs.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!