Google Blogoscoped

Forum

New Hi-Res Google Satellite Imagery  (View post)

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, July 31, 2007
16 years ago7,178 views

Well I live in Lancaster PA and the sat images on google maps definitely got way better.... before I had trouble even seeing streets, but now I can see my house!
My car and van were not at home, so I checked my office... neither were there either... I guess I have more hunting to do!

:-D

Patty Hankins [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I'm in Montgomery County, MD – and the images on google maps are also vastly improved. Based on which cars are in which driveways on my street – new image was done on a weekend this spring.

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Google also updated the UK a few months ago (or at least where I live) with high-res imagery – Live has had the same imagery though for about a year, and judging the gardens in the street – the imagery is five+ years old.

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Travis, You live in Lancaster? That's cool. I live in Carlisle, so I'm not to far away from you.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Heh, Travis, you live in Lancaster USA and I live in Lancaster UK.

Kirby, do you live in Carlisle USA or Carlisle UK?

Anyway, to keep this post on-topic: I don't see any improvement in the resolution of the US Virgin Islands coverage. I can't get beyond zoom level 18, and it's quite fuzzy even at that level. I get zoom level 19 in Lancaster, and much sharper too.

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Roger, I live in Carlisle, PA. USA.

Which incidently was named after Carlisle, UK if i'm not mistaken.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Here's something for you, Travis.

Lancaster UK has a grand castle, the oldest parts of which were built around 1150:

http://www.priory.lancs.ac.uk/gifs/castle.gif
Part of the castle is open to tourists, and part is a working castle comprising court and prison.

So when Lancaster PA built their prison (below), where do you think they got the inspiration for the design?

http://www.dupontcastle.com/castles/lancaste.jpg

alek [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I live about 20 miles NW of Denver and the imagery of my house/neighborhood is still 2002. I know because we had a major drought that year. Anyone know where the updated stuff for Colorado is?

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

You can see the Space Shuttle Crawler at zoom level 19 in Florida.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=cape+canaveral+florida&ie=UTF8&ll=28.622449,-80.620508&spn=0.00126,0.001947&t=h&z=19&om=1

J. McNair [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Prince George's County, MD here.
The colours and details seem crisper and it's much easier to recognize landmarks even without Hybrid mode. Judging by certain buildings under construction. our imagery is now about late 2005 – early 2006. The old imagery was 2002 at best.

Kudos Google, though I would say it's about time ;-)
I wonder if the county submitted updated imagery themselves or this is Google's "normal" update pace (4 years?)

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Roger Browne: Wow, that's awesome! Does Lancaster County (PA) call their prison cells "dungeons", too? :D

Keen [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I can confirm new imagery for Halle/Saale, Germany.

The Halle market square in Google Earth is under construction, in RL that has been finished quite a while ago.

Much more detail, nicer colors, too! And I forgot to look up and smile...again!

Jürgen R. Plasser [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Here in Linz, Austria we still have the old unusable sat maps. BTW why does Google incorporate TLDs for maps for Germany, Italy, France, UK, ... but not for Austria (.at) or Switzerland (.ch)?

justinf [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

finally Basingstoke in England is full hi-res. for the first time, i can see my own house on google maps.

christophe asselin [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

For Biarritz town (in France), two r...;-)
thanks!

Guillermo Mendoza [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Its Maracaibo, Venezuela ¬¬

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!