Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Different Google Logo Types

jacobsd [PersonRank 1]

Monday, August 13, 2007
16 years ago4,931 views

This is something I have always wondered about but have never really looked into, why is it that for some Google product logo's the entire logo is an image while for others it is image and text? You can see what I mean by going to Google Images (http://images.google.com) and Google Patent Search (http://www.google.com/patents), as you can see the Images logo is a full image while the Patent Search logo is a mixture of image and text.

Can anyone shed some light on why they would choose one of the other and why they don't just choose between one of the two techniques?

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

This isn't new :/
I guess it's Google's call wether embed the text or not. I have no idea why tough.

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I think the text + image versions are only from recently designed services. Google Product Search has the text + image logo after it was renamed from Froogle. But older services like Blog Search or Scholar have the text saved in the actual logo. Google probably just changed their logo standards after a certain time period and they didn't go back and change all of the old logos.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Have you thought about bandwidth saving? I don't exactly know how much difference is between text shown that way and a full image, but any byte of information they save is worthy, because they receive thousands of queries per hour...

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

You got a point there

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'm more inclined to believe that it is the developer preference. A full image logo is easier to work with than having a table with different parts of the logo.

Although the downside to the text-included Google logos is that they have continuity issues (different font sizes/locations/width on different logos. For example, compare Google News to Google Maps).

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Image-as-text is also easier to localize, because the text can come straight from a translation database, and you don't need a graphic person to create the image. OK, I guess you can also dynamically create the image on the server side, though :)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!